Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Subzero Model 532 - Need reducing fittings for capillary tubes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bsmith

bsmith

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM

I am changing out the evaporator coil on my old SZ Model 532 refrigerator. Bought a new evap coil off ebay and it came with tubing connections that would fit the existing suction line size, but the connection to fit the cap tube, although reduced down, is still too large for my cap tube. I thought about just brazing and "buttering" the gap between the cap tube and the evaporator inlet, but then I thought that maybe I could just go buy the proper sized conical reducer fitting that you typically see used when cap tubes are joined to small copper lines.

I went to a couple of my local HVAC supply houses including Gemaire and Johnson Supply and none of them even recognized an old sample I had of the conical reducer fittings which are commonly used with cap tubes. I went to my local SZ dealer and the parts department girl could not recognize the fitting and said come back in the morning and talk with one of their techs.

I then decided to go online and see if I could fine a source on these conical reducer fittings for cap tubes and after many search attempts, I found nothing! There are plenty of suppliers for cap tubes themselves, but I never saw a single fitting for adapting a cap tube to a standard sized copper tube. Can someone please give me a web link to where I can order a cap tube fitting?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted Yesterday, 04:57 PM

To what degree is the existing cone too big? I have had a lot of success just filling that gap with silver solder , even if it is slightly oversized...not aware of any source for these cones..
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 bsmith

bsmith

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 PM

To what degree is the existing cone too big? I have had a lot of success just filling that gap with silver solder , even if it is slightly oversized...not aware of any source for these cones..

In the one particular case I have, the excess size is too much for my preferred sta-brite 8 solder to fill (it requires tight fitting joints) but the slop on the fit is not too much for a sil-phos 15 or higher silver solder to fill so I will likely have to go with that. Since you see these cone fittings on filter/driers and evap coil connections, I had always thought they must be available to the public somewhere. I would sure like to have a few handy of various sizes so I sure hope someone can put us onto them.

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted Yesterday, 05:43 PM

Simply insert the cap tube into the evap about 3/4 inch, pinch the corners of the evap inlet with pliers, and then braze it. There's no need for a special reducer, the refrigerant is going to do the same thing. I've done it plenty of times.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#5 bsmith

bsmith

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Simply insert the cap tube into the evap about 3/4 inch, pinch the corners of the evap inlet with pliers, and then braze it. There's no need for a special reducer, the refrigerant is going to do the same thing. I've done it plenty of times.

From what you describe, Spanner, it sounds like even very large size discrepancies can be handled when fitting cap tubes to evap inlets. I will go ahead and braze it as you explained. But still, just as a matter of curiosity, I wish I knew if those cone fittings were available somewhere. You see them on enough devices that you know someone has to make them.

#6 woftam

woftam

IkkĊ-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted Today, 04:56 PM

This works but I'm curious about evaporator you bought. Correct evaporator for 532 shouldn't need this. What part number did you get? Were rubber caps on new evap?
There is a huge difference between 10 years experience and one years experience ten times over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics