Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Washing machine does not agitate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_biglou001_*

Lurker_biglou001_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:32 PM

Washing machine fills then hums.  There is a definate electrical burning smell.  Any suggestions?  Unplugged and waiting further instruction....:(

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_biglou001_*

Lurker_biglou001_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

Ooops...  model number is whirlpool LBR5133AWO

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,870 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:55 AM

Not pulling up anything on that model number.  Read this and try again.

#4 Lurker_biglou001_*

Lurker_biglou001_*

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:40 AM

I rechecked the model number and it is correct according to the sticker under the lid.  I did plug the machine back in and advanced the timer to the rinse cycle and it did rinse and spin.  But still, if I let it fill, it won't agitate and hums and starts to smell again... 

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,870 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:48 AM

Ok, let's go with a direct drive washer.  Open the cabinet and check the drive coupler.  If you're lucky, the coupler is so boogared up that it's binding the motor.  Also, remove the pump and try running it again to eliminate the pump as a suspect.

If you're unlucky, you need a new motor.

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:42 AM

Check all connections to the start capacitor and the motor start winding, your symptoms are typical for a problem in that area.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 Lurker_biglou001_*

Lurker_biglou001_*

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:37 PM

I'll try some of the above as soon as I get a chance.  Busy right now, but will let you know how things turn out.  Thanks for the help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics