Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer - Squeal throughout spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mungchucks

mungchucks

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

I have a relatively new Whirlpool washer (GSW9650LW0) and noticed just this past weekend that it would start to have a high pitched squeal during the spin cycle. It was sort of odd to hear the noise cause I washed a total of two loads consecutively without any problems and noticed this noise on the third and fourth load of the day.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:45 AM

With mystery noises, we need to use our ears to locate the general location of the noise.  If I were on the service call, I'd remove the washer cabinet, jumper out the lid switch, run that puppy and see if I could hone in on the source of the noise using my Vulcan, mildly inbred-looking ears.  Then I'd scratch myself while contemplating what kind of beer I was gonna drink after I finished all my service calls for the day.

Posted Image

#3 hairrell

hairrell

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

:( I have much the same problem with my direct drive Whirlpool, except that I've found that when the squealing is happening, the tub is not actually spinning. I lift the lid and the tub is sitting idle. However, if I rearrange a few of the items and press the door switch with my finger, it always seems to take off again, then the squealing stops. At this point, I can even close the door and the spinning will resume after a brief stop. I suspect the clutch is going. Do you agree?

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:21 PM

Could have something between the spin basket and the tub rubbing.  Could also have a worn drive block letting the spin basket rub on the bottom of the tub.....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics