Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Walking out

Dont leave in a huff leave in a taxi

30 replies to this topic

#1 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

I have only flat-out packed my stuff and walked out of one service call.  There have been many others where I was really really tempted. 

I was thinking about this topic because I had a call Friday on a house where I almost left in mid call last year. 

Call was on a SubZero with no ice production out of the maker.  I took the freezer drawer out, took the cover off the IM and was test cycling it.  

So I'm on the floor watching the IM and the woman throws the owners manual down on the floor next to my head.  THWAP. When I look at her, she says "So is the problem that I have a Jewish refrigerator?"

Now, I have two uncles who caught bullets killing Nazis so this not something I am going to laugh about.  

I had no idea what to say, so I didn't say anything. I just stared at her with no expression on my face until she left the room. 

Oddly enough this time she was very pleasant.  I guess she likes having a Bosch dishwasher....? 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

Could be bi-polar.

I had a customer once---that said and did *bizarre* things.

This never really bothered me though---as it was clear that she was *not* of her right mind.

It's rare that a customer gets under my skin---those that have---were certainly NOT mentally-challenged (just a**holes)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

Well played, Dan.  And you have a return customer.

I don't recall ever walking out on a service call, but came close a couple of times.  I never took anything personal, and always kept an empathetic if not jovial attitude.  But there's something about packing up your tools and starting my normal "exiting" conversation that turns the surliest customer into a pussycat.

But professionalism aside, I wonder what it would take for me to walk out on a call.........What say you?

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

When they start cursing at me that they know how to do this or that, and I explain that things are different now, they continue with their, I-Know-Best Attitude, I'm gone.

Edited by Spannerwrench, 13 October 2014 - 05:24 PM.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#5 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,074 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

When the floor is covered in dog crap and dirt (and I mean COVERED) and your problem requires me to lay on the floor. Im out!

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#6 danoam

danoam

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

I've never had to deal with the dog crap, but I cannot stand homes that stink from cats. I've never walked out on one, but I've come close.

#7 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

My trainer and I walked out on a guy who started yelling profanities at us when we explained that the way his dishwasher had been entombed by his flooring would make it difficult to service.  He started in on "excuse makers" and "weak shit" and went down hill from there.  Trainer didn't say a word in response, just started putting his tools in his bag and we walked out. 

A couple of years later, I had a warranty call on a bottom mount french door.  I was looking at how the door was mounted and explaining how the bottom shelves had to be packed in order to avoid the drawer being propped open and getting condensation frost.  She started telling me I was making excuses, and I did not say a word, just started slowly putting my tools back in in the bag one at a time. 

She got the hint, left the kitchen, and I finished getting the doors mounted properly so the unit had a good seal. 

#8 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

Haven't walked out on many... there's the time my foot went through the floor, and the time the kitchen floor was covered with blood...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#9 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Virgil's Cream Soda

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:40 AM

I've walked out of 2 homes.  Both were because the customers simply did not want to pay any reasonable amount of money for repairs.

One tried telling me that $125 is a good price for a washer drain hose AND a GE evap fan motor.  He was shocked that I left. "You're just gonna walk away from $125?"

- David
- RD Appliance Service, Corp.
http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

#10 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

A potential crime scene is definitely a valid reason to walk out.  I had to cancel a call once myself because they wouldn't let me past the yellow tape.

#11 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

A potential crime scene is definitely a valid reason to walk out.  I had to cancel a call once myself because they wouldn't let me past the yellow tape.

and the time there was a note on the door saying the building was condemned: unsafe for occupation... (and yes, they were still living there)

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 16 October 2014 - 06:32 AM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#12 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

I don't recall really being abused by a customer, even those who I expected may have been unbalanced, or just a jackass.

But now I have to wonder.  Can one unbalanced jackass (customer) recognize another unbalanced jackass (me)?

Hmmm........  :kopkrab:   Perhaps.  :bangin:

#13 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

Can one unbalanced jackass (customer) recognize another unbalanced jackass (me)?

Takes one to know one?

Mother Teresa

Big Brother

#14 CubbieBear84

CubbieBear84

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Surlys

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

Iv'e walked out of a customers house & I'm just over my first year of doing this job.  Our delivery guys had just taken a french door bottom freezer fridge to this place a week before I got a call on it.  Customer was complaining that there was a bunch of water getting into the ice cube bin and freezing them all together.  I showed up and saw that the front two feet on the fridge had gone through the laminate floor and sinking into the sub floor.  I showed this to the customer, who had been drinking since Nixon was in office & she blew a gasket.  Blaming us, blaming her husband, her daughter.  I just grabbed my bag and walked out.  What she didn't know is that our company policy for employees is to take photos before and after an appliance is taken in.  She had nothing.  I'll never return to that house.

#15 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:17 AM

Boss: Did you take pictures?

Me: No, I just ran and got the hell out of there,,,

Boss: I don't blame you

Mother Teresa

Big Brother

#16 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

Our install crews should probably do this, except that they'd successfully document about 800 cases of cross threading the inlet hose onto the water valve. 

#17 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

Had a good one today, Bust my ass to get there before noon, she was my 4th call on my route today, I get there at 11:45 AM and she tells me I'm too late. I tried to explain to her that with all the detours from the road construction that it's not easy to get to your 4th call before noon. 

She tells me she isn't going to pay the trip charge because I was late. She then has the audacity to call my office and complain about how late I was, I complained about the construction detours and she complains  that I didn't even pull the dryer away from the wall. IT'S A FRONT SERVICE DRYER!

I should call her hair salon, book an appointment, then when they are running late, I will still get my hair cut, but then refuse to pay because they were running late.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 10 November 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Scott Wolf

#18 Samtech

Samtech

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:MGD

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:28 PM

What time window did you give her?   I had a great mgr. that wouldn't put up with crap from customers.  If the customer was given a 10-12 window, and we got there by 11:59, he would back us up !  Personally if I couldn't make it by the mid point of the window, I'd call...

You Break, I Fix

#19 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,076 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

I walked out... no, I was kicked out of only one repair job to date.

Property manager hired me to repair a slide in range. It was a smallish 27 inch range with purported temp issues with the stove top . The tenant and his family had recently moved in what appeared to be a very nice house. They were French.

As I worked on the range, the father compained the house had electrical problems as well as a myriad of other issues. I ruled out electrical problem with the stove but He goes on and on about the problems with the house and he gets worked up. He was French.

I continued to check burner temps, switches , blocks, etc., but couldn't find anything wrong. The father explained he was a chef and certain recipes did not come out properly so there must be something wrong with the stove. He becomes agitated. Did I mention he was from France... you know, French?

As I began to wrap up my testing, he became more agitated. He talked about how he should have never rented the property, that he owns Chateaus in France and is a chef of some notoriety. That the house and the "little stove" was, in essence, beneath him. And there's the rub... the only problem with the stove was it was somehow "beneath" him. You gotta love the French.

During the entire repair, I thought it best just to be stoic, to approach the job in a matter-of-fact-like manner.. ie.. "just the facts, Ma'am." I did not engage him from an emotional stand point. But said "Sir, currently I cannot find anything wrong with the stove. If it is not to your liking, you have to take that up with your landlord." Maybe that was a mistake, maybe I should have shown more compassion for his plight. Why, you ask? Because he was French, of course.

Seeing that I was not being swayed by his magnificence nor did I respond to him with extreme passion nor exhibited even slight empathy (but, in fact, how can a lowly tech, such as me, empathize with royalty?) he exploded or at least I thought he exploded. I don't think I ever heard french, such a beautiful, melodic language, designed for love and romance, being used in anger,

"Quitter ma maison vous paysan!!"

I may have embellished what he said a bit, but it sounded so beautiful I thought he was reciting poetry to me. Why not? He was French.

I started to look at him adoringly but he took a deep breath and shouted "Get Out!!" It was loud but not really forceful... maybe because the french "t" is silent. Anyhow I got the point. Damnation, I was just about to impress him with a few Shakespearian sonnets or may have tried out the only french phrase I could remember..

"Voulez vous coucher avec moi, ce soir??"

Rejected, I began to pack my tools, but apparently not fast enough. He repeated, "Ge Ou"... I wanted badly to correct him...." no, no mon amie, say the 'tee' ...repeat after me 'Get-tah Ou-tah!". emphasis on the 'tee' as in 'butt-tah hole' and 'asshat-tah' "

Instead, I simply left and reported my findings to the landlord and stated I wasn't completely finished. So a few days later he accompanied me back to the house to complete my tests. Of course there was nothing wrong with the range. However, the tenant did apologize for his behavior "I'm sorry but what can I say? I'm French."

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 11 November 2014 - 10:08 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#20 Samtech

Samtech

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:MGD

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

I used to bat cleanup at one of my old jobs,  They would send me out if there was a 'Personality Conflict or Competence issue" between a customer and the previous technician. I would never let the svc mgr  tell me the problem, As I didn't want to arrive at the customer with a preconceived  notion.  Most of the time , I had no problem at all. But if I saw they were "loaded for bear", I would tell them to yell and get it out of their system and then let me get to work.  I had the nickname of "Tinman... If I only had a Heart"  This normally diffused the situation, and I made a repeat customer and a Tip.

You Break, I Fix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics