Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

11026002010 No spin/ no agitate Whirlpool VM washer

washer multimeter f7 e5 electic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lunsfoc

lunsfoc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

The washer doesn't make any sound when it is supposed to be spinning or agitating.

I'm trying to perform test #3a for the drive system on my Kenmore (Whirlpool) VM washer. I have the J16 connector off, but I'm not sure how to check the resistance with my multimeter. I can't find a video online to show how to perform this test.

In other words, I've accessed the main control panel and I'm trying to test the electical connections. I'm not sure exactly how I'm supposed to do this.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

If you have the manuel you need to put it in test mode and run diagnosis.  Does it do anything at all?

Doc

#3 lunsfoc

lunsfoc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

I have the manual and I ran the diagnostics. I have F7 E5 issues. I don't hear anything during the spin and agitate cycles, so I'm assuming the issue is not with the transmission or the coupler. I think that there must be a problem with either the motor, or a component that tells the motor to start. I don't know. I'm a novice, but I have no desire to spend $75 for someone to come out and say, "Yep. You gotta replace the shifter." 

I'm trying to perform test #3a and narrowing down which component is faulty. I checked for continuity from j16 to the component. The ohm meter registered 0, so I'm assuming I have continuity. The problem is that I get a 0 reading no matter what pins I check. Is that how it should work?

#4 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

Does the manual show you how to test the lid switch?  I would start with that.  It doesn't sound like anything mechanical.  F7 is door lock

Doc

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

Electro_doc, The error code isn't F7, It is F7 E5 which is shifter fault.  All F7 codes purtain to Speed, Motor, Shifter problems.

Lunsfoc, if you purchase a shifter from this site and it doesn't fix your problem you can return it for a full refund, you would only be out shipping charges.

These units do seem to have lots of Shift Acuator and Lid Switch problems.

It sounds like you may need to find an instruction manual for your meter and find out if you are reading it correctly.  Some meters show a 0 or OL or a 1. way to the left of the display when there is an open line/no continuty.  You also have to make sure if it has an ohm setting that isn't auto ranging that you have it set to a setting that is higher then the expected ohms of what you are checking.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 16 October 2014 - 06:51 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Mode shifter Part number: W10006355

Part number: W10006355

#7 lunsfoc

lunsfoc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

Thank you very much for all of your help. I'm going to try the shifter. It makes sense that it would be the problem.

#8 lunsfoc

lunsfoc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

It worked. I just replaced the shifter and now everything works fine. Thanks everyone.

#9 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the follow up.  Glad Willie came on and saved my behind, thanks Willie.  Good job with the repair, give yourself a pat on the back and have a cold for me.  You deserve it! :pint1:

Doc

#10 lunsfoc

lunsfoc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Today, 07:10 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help before, but here it is two months later and I now have the same problem. The error code is showing a shifter problem and it won't spin or agitate. Is there something that could be causing the shifters to go bad? Could an off balance load cause a mechanical problem with the part? 

I think I need to buy another shifter (actuator), but I'm afraid that I'll have the same issue two months from now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: washer, multimeter, f7 e5, electic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics