Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Electrolux Refrigerator EI28BS55IW1 - Power Failure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fdavila1

fdavila1

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:38 AM

Hi Guys,

Stumped by this one.  Saw an Electrolux Frig that did not provide power to the compressor.  When plugged in the inverter tries to fire up the compressor and the compressor fan goes on for 5 sec before they fail and the display board beeps indicating a pwr failure.  I checked the inverter as instructed in the Samurai's posting and it appeared fine so I thought I'd be replacing it. Before I did that I opened up the freezer door and magically the compressor fired up. When I closed the door the compressor would shut off and do what it did originally.

So...the compressor works only when the freezer door is open, the freezer was dropping in temp, the internal lights work, the evap fan did not come on (so warm fresh food section), and the front display numbers are not legible (only partial characters show).

Because the compressor fired up I did not replace the inverter. I figured the main board should be replaced so I switched it out but no change.

I walked away stumped.

Hate the feeling of defeat so any thoughts are appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,079 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

what is the part number of the board you changed? If the correct part :

1)Check the connections to the board

2) check connections to the user interface

3) replace user interface (incomplete digits suggest failure)

Do you have diagnostic info/ tech sheet/manual?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 18 October 2014 - 05:31 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

Check your basics: you'll find a flaw in the house electrics once every year or so, but if you don't catch it you'll run yourself in circles.  

So: Do you have 120 VAC from L to N and 0 VAC N to ground? Do you have the same voltage from L to N and L to Ground?

Sounds like your board is "seeing" voltage go away.  Have you checked your compressor for continuity to ground?  Have you checked the wire harness for continuity? 

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

I checked the inverter as instructed in the Samurai's posting and it appeared fine so I thought I'd be replacing it. 

I'm confused by this statement.  You checked the inverter, it checked good, so you're going to replace it anyway?

What measurements did you do on the inverter?  

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

I'm confused by this statement. You checked the inverter, it checked good, so you're going to replace it anyway?

I think he's saying he WAS going to replace it but decided not to since the compressor came on when he opened the door.

However, I am curious as to his inverter readings as well since he indicated he used the testing procedures found in your video without mentioning the requisite values found in the service manual. If he is talking about your GE Fridge inverter test video, then his diagnosis could be off.

If the line voltage to inverter is fine, values at the board per manual

"You will use connection J2 terminal 3 (RED/BLK) and terminal 4 (BLK/WHT) on the lower control board to test the voltage. (See Figure 3-15) Do not disconnect the molex connector from the board. Slide the probes from your meter along side the wires until you connect with the terminal itself. Set your RMS Multimeter to DCV/HZ setting. You should show from 50 to 155 HZ on the meter. With a standard Multimeter, first set the meter on ACV. You should show 10 to 15 Volt AC. Next set your meter for DCV, you should read 2 Volt DC or less. If voltage is outside the listed range, replace the main control board. If the voltage is good proceed to step 3."

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 18 October 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#6 fdavila1

fdavila1

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hi Guys

Sorry for the confusion.  Originally the inverter was receiving the proper voltage, the compressor windings were checking out and my readings were confusing when checking the voltage from the board (must have done it incorrectly) but with the windings being ok I concluded the inverter may have an issue. To cover my bases I also had a board in the event my conclusion was incorrect. 

When I went back on the 2nd visit I looked it over again before toughing the inverter and discovered the compressor fired up when the freezer door was opened. Seeing that the inverter/ compressor worked I went to plan B and switched out the main board in the back. As I mentioned this switch did not make a difference.  Once the freezer was closed the compressor shut down and I was back to square 1.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:03 AM

Not sure how we can help as there are unanswered questions still pending. However, extrapolating info from your previous post I can surmise a few answers:

Previous question: What is the part number of the board you replaced?
Your answer "the board in the back"

Based upon this, you changed the wrong board. The board in the back is the icemaker control board. But then you said you tested the inverter from the board... I'm quite confused.
Per page 6-19 of the manual.
"NOTE: There are two boards UNDER the product. The larger box is the main control board (gray box). The smaller box is the lighting control board (white box)."

Previous question: Do you have the manual etc?
Your Answer: Not answered, however, if you did indeed change out the wrong board, it is clear you did not have or did not study carefully the manual prior to working on a fridge with which you are unfamiliar, a basic tenet of being a professional appliantologist.

If your statement was in error and you replaced the mainboard , then proceed as previously mentioned... ie check connections to mainboard and interface, then replace interface (and more importantly, you will spare us all from hearing me preach, once again, about the costly and time consuming mistake techs make by showing up to a repair unprepared)

#8 fdavila1

fdavila1

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

As a rookie I felt confused and bad not being able to figure this out.  I was not able to secure the manual on this model and made mistakes as a result. I've learned a valuable lesson. My apologizes for wasting everyone's time.

I can go away with my tail between my legs or fight to be better.  I choose to be better.

Can anyone help provide the service manual for this model.  All I have is the wiring diagram.

Thx

#9 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,074 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

As a rookie I felt confused and bad not being able to figure this out.  I was not able to secure the manual on this model and made mistakes as a result. I've learned a valuable lesson. My apologizes for wasting everyone's time.

I can go away with my tail between my legs or fight to be better.  I choose to be better.

Can anyone help provide the service manual for this model.  All I have is the wiring diagram.

Thx

You can post a request in the service manual requests forum.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics