Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore side by side ice maker problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vikingboy

vikingboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

I have a Kenmore 106.56532400 side by side fridge and the ice maker is not making ice. There is about 1/2 cube level frozen in each mold. The ejectors are not turning. The red LED is on solid and the temp in the freezer is 10 degreesF.

I was going to pull the ice maker out to melt the ice, but I can't figure out how to get the ice maker out. It looks like it should slide forward to come out. BTW I can squeeze the the filler tube okay and does not appear to be frozen.

Any thoughts?
vikingboy

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:37 PM

Viking,   there is a quarter inch screw you need to remove from the harness cover on the lower right hand side. Then the ice-maker will pull out straight foward. Take a look and see where your ejector blades are at.  Should be at the 2:00 position.  If not, remove the cover from the ice-maker and check the plastic gear center clip to see if they are broken or stripped. Second generation optics will give you 2 pulses and pause repeated with the door open.  Hold the left hand flapper in and the light should stay steady.  If your inlet tube is not frozen,  you probably have an issue with the ice-maker module.  Check these things out first..let us know,  Ron

#3 vikingboy

vikingboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the info ron. I took the maker out and the paddles are just resting against the ice cubes at about 4 oclock as you are looking at the gear drive. (this morning it was up at 2 oclock). The icecubes are frozen solid in the tray. When i took off the lid to the drive, I found a 1/2 white plastic tab broken off in the bottom of the lid which looks to me to go on the center (axle) of the white gear. There is another in place holding the gear in. FYI. Yesterday for some reason, when I was screwing around with this, the ice in tray seemed to loosen up and I was able to push on the paddles and get them to lift the cubes out. Then it filled with water and started over. The ice cubes froze, but never seemed to melt. Could it be the thermostat? Thanks. I included two pics.
viking boy

Attached Files

#4 vikingboy

vikingboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

Oh by the way, when I open the flipper on the left side of freezer the red LED blinks twice. When I close it it glows red solid. However, I have seen it closed with red LED not on at all.
viking boy

#5 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

Viking,  you found the problem,  that gear needs to be held to the module with those clips.  during the cycle the white gear will run outward with-out them messing up the cycle.  Your thermostat is probably ok,  the part number you need is 628366,  easy to install...Ron

#6 vikingboy

vikingboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

This part that you listed 628366, is that the module assembly? The number on the sticker on the assembly near the wheel is 106.626663. Is that the number for the entire ice maker?
thanks,
vikingboy

#7 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:00 AM

vik thats not the module part number its the thermodisc part#its  located against the ice mold inside the head. its an easy fix eariler discussions were herehttp://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=226&forum_id=1&highlight=L+and+H+test
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,840 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:27 PM

Viking, disregard applianceman's post-- Ron posted the correct part number, here's the direct link to the part:

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=2024

#9 vikingboy

vikingboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:32 AM

If I wanted to replace the ice maker, do you know the part number of the ice maker core without all of the wires, plastic covers, etc. Ref fridge part no is 106.56532400. I got a quote from sears for $191, but that is the entire kit. All I need is the icemaker itself. Thanks in advance.
-scott

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:53 AM

CLICK HERE

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics