Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Triton XL Makes a grumbling noise

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 pissed off

pissed off

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

I have an 18 month old GE Triton GSD6660G02SS. The dishwasher is making a grumbling noise that sound like it is coming from the pump and motor assembly. I replaced that $140.00 part and it did not help. When I disconnect the top and middle washer arms the noise will stop. When I connect either one the noise starts again. It is the same grumble noise weather either or is connected. The noise will grumble then stop and then grumblle..so on and so on. Any Suggestions????? Anyone need a new Motor & pump???:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Dan411

Dan411

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

As I much as I HATE GE appliances, and the hell I go through every time I'm called out to fix one, I think what you're probably hearing is just the food grinder doing what it's supposed to do--mashing up all those little food particles from your dishes into a liquid mush so they can be easily and safely flushed down the drain.  Some dishwashers are noisier than others at doing this. I workd on an old Kenmore machine several years ago that sounded like a jet engine!  It's sort of a built in "garbage disposal" if you will.  Nothing to be concerned about here unless the machine is obviously not cleaning your dishes or is shutting itself down or tripping the fuse box/breakers.   Hopefully this is all you're hearing.  The noise you're describing goes away after you've disconnected the spray arms simply because there's no water circulating through the pump...  Good luck!

Dan

#3 commuter

commuter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

My GE Triton Dishwasher GSD6200GWW is making the same type of noise. We have had it almost 36 months now. I looked around under the unit, no water, no signs of wear. Just growling from the pump area. Does anyone have a diagram showing the parts in there. The user manual doesn't help.

Thanks!

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

No info on your exact model but this should show you what you are wanting to see...

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#5 douggiestyle

douggiestyle

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:34 AM

does it always make this noise? how fast does the noise cycle eg. every 30 seconds?

do you completely fill the dishwasher with dishes or is it frequently run half empty?

www.kandnsales.net

#6 commuter

commuter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:41 AM

It makes the noise any time the wash / rince cycle is going. We run the dishwasher full 95% of the time.

#7 douggiestyle

douggiestyle

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:57 AM

how fast does the noise cycle eg. every 30 seconds?

do you completely fill the dishwasher with dishes or is it frequently run half empty?

www.kandnsales.net

#8 commuter

commuter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

It is a constant sound during the wash and rinse cycles, no cycling. It doesn't matter if it is ful or empty, the sound is always there.

#9 douggiestyle

douggiestyle

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

well thats different then. as suggested earlier it maybe the food grinder or something in the pump.

did it make this noise when new?

www.kandnsales.net

#10 commuter

commuter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:17 AM

No noise when new, actually pretty quiet. I wonder if there is something stick in the grinder. Any suggestions as to how to access it?

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:21 AM

No info on your exact model but this should show you what you are wanting to see... This will also show you how to access parts in the unit...

#12 douggiestyle

douggiestyle

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

boy i wish i had a touch screen like the ge techs do. makes looking at those diagrams alot easier.

i believe those ge have a 5 year pump and motor waranty. you may harrass them for new one. 

but i would follow the original poster. and try and locate the sound origin. remove the spray arms. replace one at a time. things like that. also could try a light and a dental mirror and look around in the boot from inside the dishwasher.

those pumps come out pretty easy. but, imo, only if the whole dishwasher is uninstalled and lying on its back. after its out you could examine it for something loose.

what happened to pissed off and stop hijacking posts commuter.
www.kandnsales.net

#13 benson

benson

Unsui

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

I know what the noise is in your dish washer. Call GE and ask for the little part that is clipped onto the water tube that runs up the back of the dishwasher and supplies the middle /upper spray arms with water. The piece I am refering to is the part that supplies the middle spray arm. It is held on with a screw and clipped on also. I have replaced several of these lately and it has solved the problem. Try it!

#14 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

The Force is saying "next time you hear that noise, open the door and add some more water to your dishwasher from a pitcher."  Close the door and see how it sounds.

#15 commuter

commuter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:21 AM

I read the post about adding water last night just after I started the dishwasher. It was grumbling, so I opened the door and added a quart of water, closed the door, it grumbled for about 3 seconds then ran quietly the rest of the time ..... What does this mean?

#16 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:02 AM

Sounds like you are not getting enough water into the tub, might need to replace the fill valve, may not be letting enough water in the tub in the time it is open for fill..

#17 commuter

commuter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:28 AM

What might cause the fill valve to not completely fill? This unit has always been run on soft, filtered water. Is there any adjustment that can be made?

#18 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:41 AM

Screen inside the valve could be clogged from stuff from the water heater, flow washer is rubber, they swell up restricting the water flow thru the valve...or not enough water to the valve from the cut off under the sink, they get clogged also.

#19 commuter

commuter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the info. Just to verify, looking at the parts list / diagram, the valve we are talking about is called the 'WATER VALVE INLET p/n WD15X10003', correct?

#20 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

Would be called a fill valve or water inlet valve, not sure about the part number, could not bring up your dishwasher by your model number...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics