Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Extreme data logging

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

The usefulness of temperature data logging a hard-to-diagnose fridge is unquestionable and has been discussed in numerous threads. However, wouldn't it be cool to also determine when and if the compressor or defrost heater is running or when an evap fan turns off or when the doors are open for an extended period?

This could be done by comparing and analyzing temp info and line current info together.

Using a current /voltage logger along with a data logger may allow this. Supco makes a reasonbly priced current/voltage logger. It's ac only which would reduce some of its usefulness but it still would make a great Christmas gift for the tech who has everything :

http://www.amazon.co...cription-iframe $165

If I can convince my wife to buy one along with all the other toys I want for Christmas, look forward to a Durham's Extreme Data Logging video... but I'm gonna need all of you to help me decipher the data!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 09 November 2014 - 11:24 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,012 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:31 PM

Now that's nifty!

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#3 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:54 PM

I had this Lascar Temperature Logger: http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1but our HVAC guy uses it a lot too so I got this Extech: http://www.amazon.com/Extech-Temperature-Humidity-logger-RHT10/dp/B00NG258PQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1415681455&sr=1-8&keywords=humidity+logger. The Extech measures humidity too so any time the door is open the humidity spikes. 

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:22 AM

that's a good point OT. I have two Supcos and one has temp and humidity but I usually turn off the humidity setting since I didn't see the purpose but your idea makes sense.

So then I will data log both fridge and freezer with humidity logging in freezer and also use the current/voltage logger for compressor/fan/heater activity. I would imagine the amp logger would need to be set to record every minute or even every 30 seconds to catch door openings. If this can be done using humidity then the current/voltage logger can then be set to every 2 to 5 minutes.

Just found a very interesting thread from 2012. In it, someone asked about monitoring amps and brother mentioned to the the amp logger I linked....http://appliantology...ature-problems/

That's what I love about this site for if you look hard enough, you'll probably find someone has already discussed your problem. Funny thing is I participated in that thread but did not understand the value of amp monitoring at the time.

Also in that thread, I asked about the purpose of humidity monitoring but no one responded..... it's been a long time between question and answer but thanks Brother OT!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 11 November 2014 - 05:42 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

BTW the reason I got the Lascar was because it cost less on Amazon. ($50 -vs- $75) BUT I bought the second one (the Extech) through Grainger because the prices were reversed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics