Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

maytag la608 washer burned up belt

washer belt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:53 PM

this old washer 70's or 80s vintage refused to spin or agitate and smelled of burnt rubber .  The motor turns fine, pump works. The belt to the transmission burned in half from the friction and fell on the ground.   The pump belt is intact. The pulley on the transmission turns by hand in one direction but not in the other (clockwise) direction.    Is the transmission locked up?   Any hope for this unit?  It seemed like it was going to last forever, built like a rock.  thanks   John

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

The transmission turns freely to agitate in the clockwise direction.  In the counter clockwise direction it is a little harder to turn.  As you turn it, it needs to release the brake and turn the washer tub to spin.  If it is hard to turn but in fact does turn and rotate the tub then it is probably ok.  You may just need a new belt.  I'd buy one and install it and see how it goes.  If it doesn't spin, you may have something binding the tub, like a sock that went over the top and got between the inner tub and the outer tub.  Try the belt first and get back to us.  That washer is definitly worth fixing and keeping.

Doc

#3 Maytag1

Maytag1

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lite & Landshark

Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM

Actually, agitate is counter clockwise. Should Turn very easy. Clockwise is spin. If you can't turn, something is blocking tub or tub bearing is locked up. As was mentioned, cod be a sock. Run your fingers between inner tub and top of outer tub, this is where it would be caught if stopping the tub from turning. If you didn't find sock, force pulley clockwise, (you can always turn it to some degree) see if rubber part of tub bearing is moving with the transmission. If it is, your bearing is locked up, rare for this age machine. Late 70's almond colored model.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: washer, belt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics