Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WRF989SDAH00 serial K23400760 whirlpool refrigerator not making ice

WRF989SDAH00

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveG

DaveG

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

For  history on this 2 year old unit, all has been good until about a month ago the freezer compartment was  heavily frosted.  We returned from a weekend away and found the refrigerator constantly rebooting.   There was freezer compartment  ice buildup all the way into the evaporator fan.  I removed all the ice, it stopped rebooting and it appeared to be working normally.  A couple days ago I noticed the freezer wasn't keeping everything frozen, removed the freezer compartment back over and ice buildup had started again on the right side. I used a hair dryer to remove the buildup.

I then installed part # W10639002(ui and control board) for the ice maker overfilling issue and may have misunderstood from other postings,  but thought it may help the frost issue also .  The refrigerator compartment is set for 37 degrees and and the freezer compartment for -2 degrees.  It's been a couple of days and  no ice has been made. There is water in the mold and all the service menu tests pass.  Does something have to be activated or initialized after installing these boards ? 

thanks in advance for any advice.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,995 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted Yesterday, 12:57 AM

Water in the mold?

What's your actual freezer temp?

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#3 DaveG

DaveG

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:43 AM

There's water in the ice maker(mold-I was referring to the tray that holds the water to form the ice), the fan works and if i use the service menu to harvest the ice it ejects the cubes.   They look clear though.

The freezer temp was monitored over a few hours and is in the teens and 20's.   The refrigerator temp is set for the recommended 37 and measures at 40 degrees

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Sounds like you have a cooling problem in the Freezer, if there was ice buildup only on the upper right of the evaporator, there is a sealed system problem (leak). I may be off a little, but I think that most WPL Ice makers will not harvest the cubes unless the bimetal in the IM is below 13 degrees. 

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#5 DaveG

DaveG

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:16 AM

yeah,  you're right needs to be 16 degrees according to this:

from Technical Training Pointer #: W10642142

"When the unit begins cooling, the fan in the ice box draws air from the freezer. When the Thermistor on the ice maker senses a temperature of 16 degrees the ice maker will begin to cycle. The ice ejector fingers will move around until a switch inside the ice maker head closes. When the switch closes a signal is sent to the high voltage board; the board then supplies voltage to the fill valve and the ice maker fills with water. NOTE: At the same time as the ice maker is filling with water, the fill tube heater will be energized for 45

minutes to prevent the fill tube from freezing.

After fill, the ice maker will go into “Hibernation” for 45 minutes. During this time, no power is supplied to the ice maker motor. After the 45 minutes hibernation period has expired, the board will monitor the ice maker Thermistor circuit and corresponding temperature. If the temperature is below the 16 degree mark the ice

maker will harvest and start the process over again."

So, sealed system leak, doesn't sound like a diy homeowner job ? I'm guessing  I need a new freezer compartment evaporator and somebody to install it?

#6 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,995 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Yup. Sounds like a sealed system leak to me.

Post a picture of your evaporator so we can see the frost pattern.

And yes your correct. This not a diy job.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#7 DaveG

DaveG

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:42 PM

D6082111-1048-4EF3-BB57-19DB1DBFCBB0_zps

#8 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:35 PM

ok ive been on 3 of these units and the first 2 whirlpool scraped them the leak is coming from the ref evaportor the freezer goes first them the ref the 3rd one i went on i thought they were gonna scrap that 1 also but now they got a fix they replace the the ref evaporator and drain pan and drier but i refused repair becasue of danger of melting the ref compartment plastic which service will be responsable  for whirlpool was ok with that they paid a outside tech up to $500 to do it they also paid me $170 for dianostics but this one was under warranty i would if i where u call whirlpool customer service and raise holy hell to get this fixed a knowen problem for clsoe to 2 yrs good luck

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted Today, 06:52 AM

And YES, that is diffinitely a sealed system problem!

The complete evaporator should look like that little section up in the top right hand corner.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics