Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool LER7646EQ0 Dryer - Loud Squealing Noise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost

Ghost

Unsui

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Most of us immediately think of the idler when a dryer starts squeaking and howling, right?  Maybe the drum rollers as a second.  I have one with a squealing motor.  Of course it was quiet as a mouse once everything was pulled out of the cabinet.  Under side load (as it is when the pulley is tensioned by the belt, the squealing is very loud.

Too bad this noise is coming from the motor.  The bearings are fine.  Inside the motor toward the front of the motor frame you can see a centrifugual cutout mechanism with springs, weights and a switch that rides on a large plastic ring.  After years of operation, the plastic switch arm polishes up the plastic ring and starts squealing.  Adding a little grease to the plastic ring is a waste of time. 

This problem is really a waste of an otherwise good motor.  You can actually pull out the connection block and have a good look at the culprits.  Can't think of a clever fix at the moment, but thought I'd make a note of it.  When hunting for a squealing part on these dryers - they are pretty good dryers -  pull the motor pulley hard to one side and rotate it to find this noise.

Unfortunately, the blower fan on an older unit will probably refuse to unscrew, so it is time to chisel off the old one and get a new blower fan too.  But, that's what they pay me the big bucks for, right?

-Ghost

Edited by Ghost, Yesterday, 11:04 AM.

That figures!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted Yesterday, 01:10 PM

I was working on a coin op machine of this design, had the same problem. Felt like I was chasing my tail once I figured this out... Live a learn

#3 Maytag1

Maytag1

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lite & Landshark

Posted Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Instead of a chisel, I use a 1" hole saw. 10 seconds to have blower off:)

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted Today, 06:26 AM

Medium sized ball-peen hammer and about 5-10 seconds is all it takes to smash the blower wheel off around the center hub area.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted Today, 08:08 AM

Instead of a chisel, I use a 1" hole saw. 10 seconds to have blower off:)

This my preferred method. Elegant, quiet, quick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics