Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore refrigerator goes wacka-da-boop!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 neko de aru

neko de aru

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

Dear All,

I have a 1989 Kenmore fridge, model # 8790682. Works fine, but whenever (what I suspect is) the compressor cycles off, it makes a sound like WACKA-DA-BOOP, fairly loud.

Am I losing my compressor? Is it the bearings? Or just a loose bolt?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:13 PM

Model number? Should start 106. 253. or 363. followed by 7 or 8 digits. It should be on a label inside your refrigerator compartment, usually on the left hand side.

Sounds very like a broken spring inside your compressor, but give us that all-important number so we can make a reasoned assessment and give you some ideas on where to look.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 neko de aru

neko de aru

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:24 PM

Sorry, the model # starts with 106.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

This a Whirlpool Ref. with a Kenmore name on it.  The first thing to suspect is the broken spring inside of the compressor.  You could also have bad rubber mountings under the compressor feet or a freon line hitting something.  You would need to pull the box out and remove the bottom panel to see exactly where the noise if coming from.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:39 PM

Posted Image

Older Whirlpool-build top freezer, simple and robust. There should be a panel at the lower rear which you can remove, see if you can pin down where the noise is coming from.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 neko de aru

neko de aru

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:35 PM

So if the chief culprit is a broken spring inside the compressor, what should I do? Have it fixed, or buy a new fridge? I understand a compressor replacement is not something I can do myself.

I love the fridge; even the icemaker continues to work flawlessly.

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:13 PM

If it is the compressor the repair would be several hundred $. This is not something you could do yourself and probably would not want to pay to have repaired at around $700.00 give or take.  All you could do is run it till the compressor bites the dust or replace the ref.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 ktsenya2

ktsenya2

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:22 PM

I generally do this type of job for about 350 to 450 bucks including the parts (compresser, Filter/ dryer, and a half pound of refrigerant). If its R-12 the job gets costlier, however R-414B is a good substitute. Just be sure that is fed in via liquid so it wont fractionate.

Thers a lot of expensive equipment used in this kind of job, its exacting and time consuming work, so expect to pay a handsome fee for it.

Bob Sankie
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
North County San Diego
www.coastalappliances.com

#9 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

Unplug your fridge,give your compressor a good shake.If it's a bad spring, you'll hear it clank!  I'd let it run till something else happens, then make a decision about fixing it.

#10 neko de aru

neko de aru

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:57 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded for all the good advice. 

#11 Lurker_Fridge user_*

Lurker_Fridge user_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:04 AM

Don't border to get it fix since it already 16 years old.
Save the money for an new one which is more efficicieny.
Your old one could use more than twice amount of electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics