Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Dryer, WGD9200SQ0 not heating

duet dryer whirlpool

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea, espresso

Posted Today, 07:18 PM

The unit runs but does not heat. In diagnostic mode, I get code F28, which points to either the thermistor or the main control board.

I have troubleshot the machine to within an inch of my life, and I'm down to the last step, checking the resistance on a couple of wires, "If the resistance reading doesn't match the table replace the thermistor. If it does, replace the machine control electronics." Here's where it gets dicey for me, so I need some clarification from more experienced minds.

The chart says:

60°   14.8-16.8

70°   11.5-13.5

The temperature in the space is lower than 70, but above 65. The resistance on the multimeter is 16.1 So, is that a match or no? Obviously, I hope the issue is the thermistor; that's $20 as opposed to $160.

And insights? Thanks!

- Bill in KC

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted Today, 07:19 PM

What else have u checked

#3 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Today, 07:37 PM

What else have u checked

I followed the troubleshooting guide for code F28, which is actually pretty short. Moisture sensor is the issue, either the thermistor or the main control circuitry.

Moisture sensor. In diagnostic mode, produces a tone when shorted. Check.

Run for 60 seconds in timed cycle, look for F22 or F23 error code. No code displayed. Check.

Examine physical connections. All tight, no corrosion, no worn wires. Check.

Test resistance of two wires in the harness, comparing the resistance value against the chart.

This leads to my question, above.

#4 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted Today, 07:40 PM

Ignore the code for now, check the basics, does the ignitor glow? Thermal fuse on blower housing have continuity? The reading u gave for the thermistor seems ok

Edited by sh2sh2, Today, 07:41 PM.

#5 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Today, 09:01 PM

Ignore the code for now, check the basics, does the ignitor glow? Thermal fuse on blower housing have continuity? The reading u gave for the thermistor seems ok

No action on the ignitor. No reading on the thermal fuse, so that means continuity, yes?

Other things that might be relevant: valve on the gas line is open - no smell of gas, so the dryer's not using it; dryer exhaust is clean, but at this moment disconnected so there's no obstruction in any case.

#6 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted Today, 09:04 PM

No reading ususly means open, continuity would be zero or close to it, sounds like u need a thermal fuse

#7 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Today, 09:35 PM

I'll admit to being new to using a multimeter. Set on 20k (the same setting I used to test at the wiring harness), leads touching nothing, it reads "1." I unplugged one of the leads on the fuse and touched the leads to either of the fuse contacts, there was no change in the reading.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duet, dryer, whirlpool

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics