Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE pgcs1pjxass

warm refrigerator/freezer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eyedocs96

eyedocs96

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

I watched the video about diagnosing this problem.  My J15 has 5.0+ DC at the mother board.  My compressor tested fine with 6.0+ ohms and I had 120V at the inverter plug.  I replaced the inverter and it still isn't working.  The compressor will shake and feels like it is on.  The blower fan is not running.  The cooling fins around the fan are getting warm but the fan isn't coming on?  Any ideas as to what to check next?

Thanks,

Brian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

It really would help if you placed your issue in the title or even at the start of your post. You said you watched a video about diagnosing "this problem." You then said you replaced the inverter... "but it is still not working."

What isn't working?

You say the condenser fan isn't working but if this is your problem, then why are you testing the inverter? The compressor appears to run so why are you testing the pins? Why are you testing j15? Did you test voltage at the fan? Did you test voltage at j2?

Tell ya what, why don't you just tell us what's going on with the fridge and then we will proceed from there otherwise this is what we are confronted with:

"hey doc, I watched an episode of Dr Oz about my problem. I took my temperature... it's 98f....my pulse is normal and my cholesterol is fine.... so can you tell me why I can't move my leg? "

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Yesterday, 09:43 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 eyedocs96

eyedocs96

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Well I guess I put the problem  in the wrong spot.  I'll try again.  My refrigerator was warm as well as freezer.  The video I watched talked about testing the inverter as potential problem.  The freezer fan I could hear was on.  After checking the J15, condenser and power to inverter it looked like the inverter was bad.  I think it still could have been.  The Freezer fan is running.  The condenser is now shaking when plugged in.  The condenser fan is not running.  I tested the J2.  Black probe in #3, probed #4 and got between 12-14v, #3 to #4 gave around 12v and #5 gave me a negative number of around 13.  I wasn't sure why I got a negative number, but I hope that means the mother board is alright and the condenser motor needs replaced.  I hope I explained this better.

Thanks,

Brian

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 PM

Much better! That negative number is disconcerting... if probes are correct, sounds like a bad board. Test the fan directly using a 9vlt battery... if the fan runs (polarity is important!) , sounds like a bad board.

Does either one of the two resistors located next to the j2 connector appear burned or discolored?

If your compressor is running are your evap coils developing a frost pattern? ,

We also have to determine if the failed fan motor is the only thing causing your temp problems. Let your compressor cool off then place a mid-sized fan next to it to keep it cool.... does the refrigerator cool? If so... then the problem is between the fan motor and the board. If burned resistor as mentioned above, replace board AND fan motor. If a full frost pattern does not develope, then you may have a sealed system failure as well (due to compressor overheating)

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Yesterday, 10:30 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 eyedocs96

eyedocs96

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

thanks for the feedback.  I'll give it a try.  The two resisters are fine, no discoloration.  

Thanks,

Brian

#6 eyedocs96

eyedocs96

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Today, 12:07 AM

Do you know what colors of wires to hook up the 9 volt battery to test the motor?  It looks like red, white, blue and yellow.  When I disconnect the connector the yellow pin was loose and came out?  I can't get it back in and get the terminal end to snap shut.  Any tricks?

Thanks,

Brian

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted Today, 05:05 AM

Do you know what colors of wires to hook up the 9 volt battery to test the motor?  It looks like red, white, blue and yellow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics