Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Washer 110 44832 200 Not spinning clothes completely?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

I'm trying to track down why clothes are not getting dry.  I have checked the exhaust temp on my Kenmore dryer and checked that the exhaust tubing is clear.  I am going to check the Thermastor, but I also wanted to see if there might be some reason that my washer is not quite spinning the clothes dry enough.

I have checked the drain trap and it is clear (I've actually found kids' socks there in the past.  The spin cycle seems to be running at a good speed and smoothly.

Is there anything else to check?

Thanks,

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

If the washer's not getting the clothes ready for the dryer, it's not going to be subtle.  The clothes should be damp.  If they are dripping or if you can wring water out of them easily, then you have a washer problem. Otherwise the problem's with the dryer. 

I have run into a LOT of dryers where people think the vent to the outside of the house is clear when in fact it's only about half cleared out.  If the clothes are hot and damp at the end of the drying cycle, it's almost certainly a venting problem. 

#3 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

If the washer's not getting the clothes ready for the dryer, it's not going to be subtle. The clothes should be damp. If they are dripping or if you can wring water out of them easily, then you have a washer problem. Otherwise the problem's with the dryer.

I have run into a LOT of dryers where people think the vent to the outside of the house is clear when in fact it's only about half cleared out. If the clothes are hot and damp at the end of the drying cycle, it's almost certainly a venting problem.

What he said x2

#4 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

So I took apart the *entire* vent (4" rigid pipe x about 20 straight feet) and cleared it out with a shopvac. I did not get every bit of residue, but probably 95%.  The clothes are dry, except heavy items like jeans will be a little moist.

This is a vent configuration that has worked fine for 10 years, so it's not optimal, but it's functional.  I will double check one last elbow in the dryer tubing tonight.  I will also give the Washer a sanity check.

I've had drain obstruction and fill valve problems with the washer in the past, which is why I was asking.

Thanks for the pointers,

Marc

#5 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted Yesterday, 05:25 PM

Drain obstruction in a washer will not usually show itself as wet clothing.  It will usually show itself as bad odors, standing gray water in the machine after a cycle, or water pouring out of the standpipe onto the floor.  Or it can be all of the above. 

A water valve stuck in the open position can lead to wet clothes, but it's also not subtle: you'll open up the washer to do a load and there will be a bunch of clear water in the unit already. 

#6 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:35 PM

OK, so clothes coming out of the cycle were definitely not completely spun dry.  I could grab a typical dish towel and wring out a couple ounces of water fairly easily.  I ran an additional drain and spin cycle to verify that it was spinning appropriately, and it got a lot of water out of the clothes.  they were significantly drier after the extra spin.  The bath towels were much lighter and drier, etc.

While watching the additional spin, The machine spun at a good speed.  I did not watch the main cycle to see if there were differences.

So...double check the drain hose?

What else would lead to too-damp clothes coming out of a washer?

Thank you,

Marc 

Sorry spaced on the drain obstruction comment right above my post.  Any other thoughts?

#7 KCTBURY

KCTBURY

www.ieappliance.com

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM

Pull the pump assembly out and the hose behind it. The one that goes from the tub to the drain.  There is a white "float" ball in there. Make sure that hose is clear and there is no obstruction between the tub and the ball, like a sock. Check the hose from pump to wall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics