Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

240v outlet tester

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

http://freds-applian...wire-tester-kit

It appears Fred's Appliance has made a set of these like the Whirlpool testers.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samtech

Samtech

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:MGD

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

It's  $66  cheaper, I wonder about the quality?

You Break, I Fix

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:36 PM

No idea. I was just looking at their parts testers and saw those.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,901 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

$66 cheaper? I got my set for $80

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 14 February 2015 - 09:42 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,731 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:42 PM

I bet it works the same and is probably a decent tool. Good price. Was getting ready to order the whirlpool ones. May have to give these a shot. (Scratch the Fred's sticker off and put a samurai tech Academy sticker)
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

Yea, you can get the Whirlpools for $80 from a parts vendor at cost. Anywhere else they are $140. I got mine off Ebay brand new but opened for $80. I just know some were looking for another source besides Whirlpool for these, so I thought I'd share.

Edited by BryanS, 14 February 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,924 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

A loading meter will tell you the same info and is more versatile. http://www.amazon.co...ectrical tester

For example, you can use it to test the power lines to a dishwasher to see if it has an open neutral. If it lights up, the neutral is good. A non-loading meter (high impedance input, typical digital multimeter) wouldn't be able to tell you that.

#8 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,731 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

Those meters are the only reason I haven't bought the outlet tester. I have an OLD school one. Works great.

To me, the outlet tester will be more of a tool for the customer. The loading meter for me. Easier for the customer to understand and I can show them the issue. Customer perception too. I'll stick to my loading meter for now.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

Although the loading meter may electrically do the same as an outlet tester, they are different from a practical and functional standpoint

The outlet meter is fast, no need to remove outlet nor block covers. But the most important difference , the thing that I've battled and won against electricians and home inspectors who claim the appliance is malfunctioning when it is instead an intermittent outlet, is the outlet tester replicates the physical connection between the outlet and plug, something the meter cannot do...

I thought I had blogged this video before but could not find it... maybe I elected not to do it because of the crazy orientation problem I had with the video. Anyhow, a meter would not have revealed that problem or a prong-clamp connection problem unless you test at the block while shaking the plug at the outlet. Sometimes the outlet clamps do not grab the prongs firmly and shaking the outlet will not reveal it but the tester will.

Loading Meters are great, but when I walk into an oven repair, I have my tester in hand. Within minutes and without taking anything apart, I know if there is an outlet problem and the customer can easily understand it.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 February 2015 - 08:25 AM.

#10 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:25 AM

No, you posted the video somewhere on here because thats the reason I wanted the testers lol.

Edited by BryanS, 15 February 2015 - 08:26 AM.

#11 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

I was mainly on Fred's appliance looking at that modular tester thing. All those testing attachments for different things. That thing's cool in all, but it's another example of taking a good idea and making to expensive for an average technician to want to buy. We can figure most of that out on the unit by saying hmmmm it's got power to the motor, so it must be a bad motor. I'd like to have a compressor starter though. I guess I'll have to make one unless I want to spend an arm and a leg. I did think his inverter tester attachments were cool, but again $250 on top of the $99 power unit for me to be able to test an inverted compressor before I order an inverter board. No thanks. $1450 if you bought the power supply box with all the attachments.

Edited by BryanS, 15 February 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

Fred does have good stuff, and I've been egging the Samurai to do the same. During ASTI 2013 Fred stated he has a staff member or relative versed in electricronics and he sits around making tools. Well, our dude, The Samurai, is an Electical Engineer. He can certainly come up with some amazing stuff if he wanted to and many of us wouid buy it. He says stuff like " I don't have enough time." To that I say "hogwash, popoycock, malarkey and balderdash!"

The way I see it, anyone who can raise a family, work full time as a tech, run several websites, run an online appliance school, fly around the country teaching appliances, hikes in the mountains daily, devoutly attend church multiple times a week, not to mention listening to me daily advising him on all the other things he should be doing, must somehow have the ability to warp time. So stop procrastinating, Bro Samurai and get to it,. you're burning daylight.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 February 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#13 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

I laughed at his GE compressor/ defrost tester because I have one of those. It's called a jumper wire in that blue plug from common to defrost or compressor.

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

I laughed at his GE compressor/ defrost tester because I have one of those. It's called a jumper wire in that blue plug from common to defrost or compressor.

But people buy it... lol.... branding!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 February 2015 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics