Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Best Refrigerator?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 keyman

keyman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

What is the best refrigerator on the market right now (best features, least repairs needed, side-by-side or bottom-freezer)?

We've already ruled out Whirlpool because of the in-door-icemaker problems, and there appears to be a negative opinion of GE on here, also.

Please help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_russotto_*

Lurker_russotto_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

I like my Whirlpool with standard icemaker; they still have those.

The former owner who never heard of cleaning refrigerators when they got stinky due to spilled food, him I'm not so happy with.

#3 keyman

keyman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:14 PM

The only problem is the ones with the standard icemaker don't have slide-out shelves, slide-out freezer baskets and other features that the nicer models do (and my wife doesn't like the way they look).

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

See if anyone in your area handles the L.G. brand.  They are nice. Also check out the Kenmore/Maytag French Door Ref.s. Slide out shelves, roll out freezer on the bottom., also like some of the L.G.s have. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 keyman

keyman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

Didn't LG used to be called something else?

What kind of track record do they have? I only noticed them on the market for the last year or 2...

#6 Sparkland

Sparkland

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:52 PM

That would be "Goldstar" Funny how name change can vastly improve sales

#7 keyman

keyman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

What about Amana & JennAir?

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:53 AM

L.G electronics makes the Goldstar Air-conditioners, and the Hampton Bay A/C's sold at home depot, which have a 5 year parts/labor warranty. They make many other products under several names, as they all do.   Many of the microwaves on the market are made by L.G.   Amana and Jen-Air go back to Maytag.  You might want to buy what ever style, any brand you like best, but be sure to buy the extended warranty as you will need it on most of the new products out there as the electronics have become very advanced on the higher end appliances. You would not have the problems with the simpler models but this is not what you are wanting to purchase.  If you want the Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Kemnore frig with the ice in the door, go for it, but be sure to buy the extended warranty.  Do this on any new product sold these days.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#9 keyman

keyman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

Do the Kenmore/Maytag French door models seal well?

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

My sister-in-law has one of the Kenmore french door ref's made my Maytag and she has had no problems with it sealing.  She loves it.  I would have one also except no thru the door ice disp.

#11 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

Hello, Pegi, my Master Appliantologist friend.  When you mentioned your sister-in-law, it reminded me that a camel once bit my my sister-in-law. 

Allahu Akbar!

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:28 AM

Hahaha....yes things like that do happen.  Even tho she is no longer my legal sister-in-law since her husbands  brother and I are no longer married, I am still part of the family even tho my X sister-in-law's husbands family no longer speak to my X sister-in-law's husbands brother and his wife from HELL.  No one in my past family will speak to them but I am still a very important part of their family.  I am still aunt Pegi to all and am invited to all funerals and wedding, etc. So perhaps, if they do get a pet camel, I will not look like a tasty bit of snack????  Even tho I believe I am tender and tasty since all misqitoes here in North Central Texas lurk outside waiting for me to appear.  :shock:  Is this all clear??  NO???   Well let me start over............Yes things like that do happen........never mind, I know what I mean.............;)

#13 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

Hello again, my relational friend.  Indeed, I can empathize with your plight.  I have similar complications in my relations only magnified four times over since I have four wives.  However, we do have a mitigating factor which simplifies things somewhat in that divorce is not an option among our tribes; if a woman has brought dishonor to her clan, she is put to death by stoning.  Praise be to Allah!

As for recommendations on refrigerators, I urge you to consider a nice Muslim brand, such as the excellent Kiriazi line of refrigerators

Allahu Akbar!

#14 Lurker_Fridge User_*

Lurker_Fridge User_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:51 PM

Moostafa,
Could locate a dealer in US!

#15 gbickel

gbickel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:37 AM

I have an Amana side-by-side. Purchased in 1998. I have never had a seal problem. However, I have had my evaporator fan fail twice, and the defrost thermostat once.

#16 Lurker_Fridge User_*

Lurker_Fridge User_*

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

[user=827]gbickel[/user] wrote:

I have had my evaporator fan fail twice, and the defrost thermostat once.

Wonder if this is the best!?:D

#17 Jack Ofalltrades

Jack Ofalltrades

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:10 PM

What ever you buy, don't buy a Maytag:yikes:. These refrigerators are junk. Shoddy workwanship:(, poor design:P, cheap materials:X,etc.etc. I have had nothing but problems with mine since I bought it and I can work on it myself. I hate to think what people do that don't have my skills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics