Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Tromm WM1812CW - Replaced bearings, drum now has play?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 YW84U

YW84U

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:48 AM

Hi All,

About a month ago, my front load LG washer bearings went out with grinding and the usual cacophony of noise :confused:  I replaced the two bearings + seal, as well as the seal that goes around the tub halves while I was in there. OEM replacement parts were used. The repair went well, and the noise was gone and the tub ran smooth as silk - no play felt in any direction when applied to the tub. Now in the past week, the tub has developed some play in it from 6-12 o'clock - possibly 1/8" or so. I had cleaned and looked at the spider when I rebuilt everything, and other than some mild surface corrosion it seemed to check out ok. I cleaned up the shaft with a 3M pad on install, and there was no pitting seen. Both bearings and seal were seated properly, and double checked prior to reassembly. This new symptom has me a bit stumped.....

I just pulled the back off to check the 17MM bolt in case it had slacked off, but it was still torqued down tight. Even now with the bolt and the rotor removed, the play in the tub seems the same either way. I cannot see any movement in the shaft at the rear when the tub is lifted. There is no play from front to back, only at the front of the tub edge when lifted up slightly.

Am I doomed to dismantle this thing once more, or is there something I'm missing? My thoughts are that it is likely spider-related, but I would welcome any advice to help me along!

Cheers,

Tom

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:53 AM

Did you check the front bearing surface on the spider support shaft?

The one LG that I've replaced the bearings and seals in also need the spider support, (the front bearing area on the spider support shaft was worn down about 1/32" from the bearing not spinning correctly causing the shaft to spin inside the inner bearing race).

See the picture in post#20 of this discussion - this is the one I was working on.

http://appliantology...asher-wm2442hw/

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 YW84U

YW84U

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

Thank You for the reply!

I've read through that thread, but for some reason I do not have permissions to view the images posted. But from what I've read, I did notice that the new seal I received from Repairclinic appears to be the updated version as opposed to the one in the image online. I remember checking its orientation a couple of times against the original, since IIRC the new one had more of a profound edge to the front part of the seal. When it all went back together, I checked for play and could not detect any whatsoever; I wonder if the updated seal has failed and no the shaft/bearing assembly is burning itself out?

What would be the ramifications if I ran it 'as-is' for the time being? Would it fail catastrophically, or revert back to rumbling bearings?

Cheers,

Tom

#4 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,027 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:28 PM

how did you notice there was some play recently? was the machine making a noise, inner basket wobbling ? I have a feel the spider has a problem... and yes , the play will eventually damage the bearing again.

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:36 AM

If the spider shaft is worn where it rides in the inner bearing race it will cause the shaft to ride hard against the bottom area of the seal and not seal at the top area and you will very quickly have the bearings going out again because moisture will be going past the seal if the shaft isn't centered in the seal because of the worn shaft.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

The inner tub has a lifetime part warranty but you would have to go through an authorized LG servicer, and LG currently does not have this part in stock.  Fortunately, the LG inner tub is relatively inexpensive and may be available through other distributors for a little over $100.

#7 YW84U

YW84U

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:56 PM

how did you notice there was some play recently? was the machine making a noise, inner basket wobbling ? I have a feel the spider has a problem... and yes , the play will eventually damage the bearing again.

I first noticed it due to noise when the spin cycles would start, over the last week or so. It was running fine for about a month before this. I'm thinking it is the spider shaft as well, and there is a good chance that the bearings have taken a good hit already. The inner tub is likely fine, from what I recall of it when I reassembled things. Unfortunately, LG will not sell parts to Canadians period - all parts must go through the authorized service/dealer and cannot be sold to the public. Likewise, shipping LG parts from US suppliers to Canada is apparently verboten (unless I do a workaround like I did for the bearings/seals, but the cost and shipping of the spider might turn out to be sobering).

Since I've already repaired the bellows, pump, bearings and seals on this machine, I wonder if it isn't time to maybe look for something to replace it with and start with a fresh slate? Hmmmm, food for though I suppose :)

Cheers,

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics