Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
-WASP-

Kenmore Elite

7 posts in this topic

Kenmore Elite

Mod# 110.23012100

Ser# cm0502624

Type# 111

This machine works just fine but I'm afraid it may not for very much longer. It has started making a louder than normal whirring sound. It makes the sound all the time the motor is on and seems to have started doing it all of the sudden. I see where the gearbox is hooked to the motor via a flex drive coupler. And on the other end of the motor is the pump mounted directly on. But before I begin disassembly I would like to request some expert advice.

Pics:

http://www.andkim.homeftp.net/Pictures/washer/DSCN1244.JPG

http://www.andkim.homeftp.net/Pictures/washer/DSCN1245.JPG

http://www.andkim.homeftp.net/Pictures/washer/DSCN1246.JPG

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

It's not obvious from the pictures that the coupler is broken but it's certainly worth pulling the pump and motor off to get some eyeballs on it. 

You are, of course, O Keeper of the Salt, correct, my initial examination misled me, not having seen the underside of one of these for some time.

You could have a coupler getting ready to bite the dust.  However you may also have something in your pump.  Pull it off and take a look inside of it.  You could also have a motor going bad.  Remove the pump from the motor, and then remove the motor from the transmission.  Put the motor on the floor with the harness still plugged onto it, jumper your lid switch, plug the washer in, put you foot (not bare) on the motor to keep it in the same room when it starts, then turn on the timer to a spin cycle and listen to it.  This will all take place after you remove the case from the machine.  Do not try remove the back panel, this will not happen.  The top, front and sides are one piece and come off from the front after flipping the console over the back panel.

I thank you all very much for the replies. I found that it was the pump that was making noise. I was very relieved that the gearcase was not the problem :).

You are welcome, thanks for letting us know it was the pump, they can set up quite a noise when the beaings are going bad....