Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Kenmore Electric Dryer Model - 110.86160800

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Fred_*

Lurker_Fred_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:11 AM

Our Kenmore Dryer (110.86160800) was working and after one load it now won't start.  I've checked the breaker and all is good.  When I turn the timer to a high temp setting, I can hear the timer clicking away and the heat element turns on and glows (hot).  If I press the Start Button, nothing happens.  I tried disconnecting one of the wire connections on the switch and crossed it to the other side directly to see if the possibly the switch had gone bad.  It still didn't start the motor/drum turning.

At this point, I'm not sure if it is the switch, the timer or the motor.  I don't hear the motor at all, so I just don't know what to test next.  Any help and/or suggestions on what I might try to isolate the problem further?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

Check the door switch-- if it's stuck open, it breaks the power to the motor.   If that checks good, then you'll need to see if the motor is getting voltage when you press start.  If so, then the motor is fried. 

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

Your element cannot come on without the motor running unless you have something very bad happening.  You might have your heating element grounded to the canister or the bracket, or you have a shorted motor switch, 1-2 giving power to the element 1-2 when the motor is off.  Or you could have a broken clutch in the motor giving power to the element.  If your element is grounded you dryer would have heated at all times unless the timer was off or the dryer unplugged, which could have blown the motor fuse on the vent housing.  You MUST see why this element is coming on without the motor running.  You have a very dangerous situation there which could catch the dryer on fire. Look at the heating element to see if the coil is touching something metal, and GET THAT DRYER UNPLUGGED!!!
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:27 PM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

You MUST see why this element is coming on without the motor running.  You have a very dangerous situation there which could catch the dryer on fire. Look at the heating element to see if the coil is touching something metal, and GET THAT DRYER UNPLUGGED!!!

Dayyam, how'd I miss that his element was staying on?  :beating: 

Fred, are you saying the element is staying on even with the dryer off?

#5 Lurker_Fred_*

Lurker_Fred_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

Samurai & Pegi,

No, the heating element is only coming on when you turn the timer to one of the sections where heat is applied during the cycle.  But, as soon as I turn the timer knob to that section, the heating element is coming on without even pressing the on switch.  That's why I wasn't sure where to go with this.  It's very strange, at least to me.

I'll check and see if the element (coil) is touching something metal.

Thanks and if you think of anything else in the meantime, I appreciate any other ideas you might have.

Regards, Fred

#6 Lurker_Fred_*

Lurker_Fred_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:54 PM

I just checked and the heating element is even coming on when I select the Air Dry Only cycle.  Again, it does go off when the timer is turned to an off position between cycle options.

I've unplugged it and will take it apart once the heat element has cooled a little.  I'll update you and/or ask more questions then.

Thank you again!

Fred

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:45 PM

Something is causing your element to feed voltage thru the whole case when the timer is on.  Very dangerous....keep us posted...Pegi

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#8 Lurker_Fred_*

Lurker_Fred_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:19 AM

Pegi,

You were absolutely correct.  When I pulled out the heating element, one of the coils was in fact grounding on the frame of the element.  This may have been like this from when it was replaced several months ago.  I'm sure a seasoned professional would have known to make sure all the coils were attached to the frame appropriately, but I didn't even notice that one of the sides was touching the outside frame (makes perfect sense now).

Okay, now that I fixed that the heating element isn't coming on at all.  Which according to your message that's the way it's suppose to work and only come on when the motor is running.  Now, I'm even more lost as to what to check next.  I checked the thermostats for continuity and they all seem fine.  Is there a fuse somewhere that I need to check?

Now when I press the start button, still nothing happens, but I can hear the timer working (or so it appears).

Thanks for any other suggestions, I really appreciate your help very much!!!

Fred

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:34 AM

Good, we got the dryer from Hell tamed!!!   :cool:  Now, take the rear panel off.  On the left side facing the back toward the bottom where the vent hose attaches, there is a white plastic disc with 2 wires going to it.  Not the 2 metal discs.  See if this fuse is dead.  You can connect the 2 wires together to test,  If this is bad replace it.  You could also have a bad door switch, the one that the door pushes on the lever when it closes, gives power to the motor when it is shut.  You can also by-pass that to test if there are 2 wires to it, white and blue.  If this is bad, replace it.  You could have a bad push-to-start switch.  If 2 wires go to it, by-pass to test.  Remember to do only one test at a time and reconnect to the item if it is not the problem so you will know which part has failed.  And UNPLUG THE DRYER WHEN TOUCHING THE WIRES!!!.  If none of these are bad you are left with a bad motor switch, burnt timer contacts or a bad wire somewhere.  Check the thermal fuse on the vent housing first, then the door switch then the push-to-start.  Pegi

#10 Lurker_Fred_*

Lurker_Fred_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:46 AM

Pegi,

Thanks.  It was the fuse, so I'm off to get a replacement.  I'll update you further once I have it reinstalled and everything back together, but it's looking good.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Fred

#11 Lurker_Fred_*

Lurker_Fred_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:44 AM

Super Samurai & Pegi-da-Professional,

Thank you both!  My dryer is working correctly again and all the thanks go to you two.  My wife passes along her gratitude also.

Thanks for solving another mystery of the universe.  :D

Good luck to you both.

Fred

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

Nice work, Hoss!

:party:

Now go git you a cold one. :guzzle:

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

Fred, you are quite welcome.  Thanks for letting me know  I helped save another appliance from the salvage yard...;)...Pegi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics