Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

#LAT9416AAE MAYTAG WASHER

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AARDL

AARDL

Sōhei

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:PEPSI NEXT

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

Washer will not go into agitation in the regular cycle, but it will (sometimes) in delicate and permanent press (slow)

I have learned so much already from the STA Fundamental class's, but I'm not to good at reading wire diagrams yet.

So I have some questions:

The unit is full of water and lid is closed.

1) Is the yellow wire the natural wire off motor start switch?

2) When I put it into regular cycle I do not get 120v from yellow to black

3) When I put it into permanent press cycle I Do get 120v from yellow to orange.

4) Sometimes I can get the washer to agitate on permanent press at  (lets say) point "A" on timer but sometime at the same point I can not get it to agitate.

I can not get to timer (at this moment  because its full of water and I did not want to drain and spin before I made some tests so I did not want to move the timer to much for testing) to see if contact are good or not and I would not know how to "Fix" it anyway.

By what I have came to is the timer is shot

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Sorry but I cant trace it through the dark points  like 2,4,6,8

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:42 AM

From the timing chart, it looks like the only difference between the Permanent Press and Regular cycle is the length of the agitation period. Both still use the regular run winding on the motor. The low speed winding on the motor is only energized in the Delicate cycle (cam 8, contacts 16 to 31). 

Since there's no separate cycle selection switch shown on the schematic, these selections are made on the timer itself. It's been a while since I worked on one of these old war horses, but I think I remember it this way. That being the case, you're looking at a flakey timer, specifically flakey contacts 16 and 32 on cam 6. 

Timer Part number: AP4027878

Part number: AP4027878

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

Not uncommon at all to see burnt motor run contacts on cam 6 of the timer on these just as Samurai say!

If you pull the timer and inspect the points, I'm sure you're going to see that they are severely burnt, (most likely will see black burn marks on the plastic guide that seperates each of the contacts.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 AARDL

AARDL

Sōhei

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

So I call the bad part correct but I still don't know what wires to check at motor to see if I would have been really right to just kind of guessing so to speak.

Thanks so much for help.

#5 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

Ok I gave it a shot and traced out the path of the electricity.

Attached Files

Edited by weswayne, 16 April 2015 - 08:37 AM.

#6 AARDL

AARDL

Sōhei

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

OK so I was right yellow to black on motor and that's why Budget said cam #6 burnet contact for a regular cycle.

Thanks,

Wes

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,621 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

Looks good, Wes. 

1) Is the yellow wire the natural wire off motor start switch?

It's the one that connects to the lid switch. Have to be careful about wire color in these old machines because it changes over time. For example, in this one, there's also a white wire that connects to the timer.  Can be mistaken for the yellow wire if the insulation color has changed much.

2) When I put it into regular cycle I do not get 120v from yellow to black

Regular cycle runs off cam 6, pins 32 and 16 that completes to neutral through the pressure switch as shown in the markup that weswayne posted. If those contacts are stuck open, as we suspect, and you measure voltage from the yellow wire on the motor to the black wire on the motor (the voltage across the regular motor winding), you will measure exactly zero volts because there's no current flow through that motor winding to create a voltage drop. 

3) When I put it into permanent press cycle I Do get 120v from yellow to orange.

That's because you're measuring across the open part of the centrifugal switch with line on one side (yellow) and neutral (floating neutral?) on the other (orange).

4) Sometimes I can get the washer to agitate on permanent press at  (lets say) point "A" on timer but sometime at the same point I can not get it to agitate.

Another common failure presentation for a timer with flakey contacts. 

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,621 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

OK so I was right yellow to black on motor and that's why Budget said cam #6 burnet contact for a regular cycle.

Thanks,

Wes

From the timing chart, it looks like the only difference between the Permanent Press and Regular cycle is the length of the agitation period. Both still use the regular run winding on the motor. The low speed winding on the motor is only energized in the Delicate cycle (cam 8, contacts 16 to 31). 

Since there's no separate cycle selection switch shown on the schematic, these selections are made on the timer itself. It's been a while since I worked on one of these old war horses, but I think I remember it this way. That being the case, you're looking at a flakey timer, specifically flakey contacts 16 and 32 on cam 6. 

Dion, this is one of those cases where you need to understand how to read both the schematic AND the timing chart. The only way I was able to pinpoint cam 6 as the problem was because the timing chart showed that those specific contacts are used during regular and permanent press cycle. I wouldn't know that unless I read the timing chart. For example, why not focus on the contacts at cam 8, 31 and 16? Because the timing chart shows those contacts are only used during delicate cycle. 

#9 AARDL

AARDL

Sōhei

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

I know right, this would have been a great for me to take timer home and play around with the timer in one had and the timer information in the other, but guess what this customer wants this timer out of all the timers  it would have to be now.

and now seeing this machine and this team helping I'm starting to learn more.

Thanks so much you guys.

#10 AARDL

AARDL

Sōhei

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted Today, 08:49 AM

Timer solved the problem.

I still have the teck sheet told her I would take it to her later cause I forgot it at the office.

But when I go back I'm going to see if I can get that timer back, but the guy probably demolished it.

Thanks for all the help you provided, its so much appreciated.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics