Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchen Aid KSCS25FJSS01 refrigerator problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Leo 7

Leo 7

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Watney's cream stout

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

Both the freezer and refrigerator are warm. The evaporator fan is running, lights and control panel lights are working. The condenser fan and compressor are not running. Tried unplugging the unit for 2 hours but did not help. I noticed that someone had replaced the relay and overload protector with a Supco 3-1 capacitor but don't know when that was. There is no power to the start capacitor. I am assuming the control board is not sending the 120 v to the capacitor needed to run the system. Any help would be great I would hate to overlook a simple problem and spend $150.00 on a new board.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,868 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

If no power to the compressor then I would strongly suspect the mainboad. However, the 3 n 1 concerns me as there may also be a problem with the compressor.

Try forcing the compressor on. through diagnostic mode... test for power... if no power:

Test the compressor windings and try connecting the 3 n 1 to a 120vac source and see if the compressor runs.. make sure to disconnect it from whatever it is currently connected to (should be the board) .

If the compressor runs consistently with no problems, replace board. Let customer know that the 3 n 1 may significantly reduce the life expectancy of the compressor. This way the customer can make an informed decision about whether to undertake the repair

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 19 April 2015 - 10:11 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Leo 7

Leo 7

Samanera

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:19 AM

Durham, I'm new to the appliance repair business. I looked up service manuals for this unit but only found owners manuals which do not have information on how to run a diagnostic mode. Any links to service manuals?

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:03 AM

If you cannot find the manual in the download section, ask for it in the Appliance Service Manual Request Forum... Thanks!

Tip: Also try searching the forums.. you will find others have requested the manual (including me, years ago) but if you read one of the manual request threads, you will find some pertinent documentation. Let me know what you found.

seehttp://appliantology...-appliantology/for tips on searching the forums and download section

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 20 April 2015 - 06:30 AM.

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

btw... also check out a forum discussions on this model.... there is one in particular regarding compressor not running created by yours truly ... and guess what we find in the thread? Check it out....http://appliantology...nning/?p=241280

PS.... If i could go back in time, I would tell, younger, but dumber me to double check the @#&*! Model number to avoid wasting valuable time.. lol

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 20 April 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,708 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hey, Leo, I've gone ahead and uploaded the tech sheet for you, here's the link: http://appliantology...tor-tech-sheet/

You'll need it to troubleshoot this fridge. It has a test mode that you can use to energize individual components, like the condenser fan. Run this test and see if you're getting power to the condenser fan. If not, bad board. If power, then bad condenser fan. 

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Samurai, I couldn't download that mediafire file in order to upload it.

#8 Leo 7

Leo 7

Samanera

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

Thanks!
Ok I'm back at the job site I could not get the compressor or condenser fan to run un diagnostic mode I did here a click when activating it. Now I just hot wired the compressor thru the 3n1 start relay and the compressor does run. So I'm thinking that since no 120v-ac is present to the start relay from the board it must be the control board. Or am I over looking something?

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

no, you pretty much determined you had a board failure earlier when you weren't getting 120vac. The compressor test was just to make sure there isn't also a compressor failure, especially since there was a 3n1 on the compressor. You wouldn't want to buy an expensive board only to find a bad compressor, now would you? So knowing the compressor runs AND runs properly is important.

#10 Leo 7

Leo 7

Samanera

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

Thank you VERY much for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics