Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ge Profile PSDS3YGXCFSS Warm on both sides... I'm at a loss...

Ge Inverter compressor fridge

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, so thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. I have a GE Profile Side by Side, Model PSDS3YGXCFSS, about 4 years old. It just abruptly warmed up one day and crapped out. Everything appeared to be fully functional, just warm. When checking it immediately after noticing fridge food was warm, the compressor was hot to the touch, condenser fan was running fine, but compressor didn't feel like it was running much at all (0 amps on clamp-on ammeter).

Upon some initial looking online, I found that the inverter seemed like a possible problem, pulled it off, and it did smell burnt. All compressor windings checked out a 7.1 ohms in all combinations. I replaced the inverter with WR49X10283. The inverter had AC coming in and DC control power at about 5.6. VDC. There was some improvement now that the compressor showed starting current of about 1.0a, and running at about 0.5a, but that seems low to me for running with a 75 degree fridge and freezer. There was a little vibration that could be felt on compressor, but nothing substantial. All lines stayed at room temp and never changed regardless of however long fridge was plugged in.

Further digging online pointed me to the motherboard as a potential problem. A call to the GE service center line got me a discounted $60 motherboard (WR55X10956), which also went in after verifying the evap fan was good (Checked it on running with old motherboard and verified not shorted, have new fan in case this one was bad). I am still at the same point with a new motherboard and inverter, and a warm fridge. From what I can tell I am getting all the proper voltages and resistances at all the points I can find online, and everything seems to be working but the compressor. All fans and electronics are working fine, the digital display on the front show accurate temps.

It seemed unlikely to me that the compressor would go out on such a new fridge. It is covered under the sealed system warranty still and I am in the process of getting an authorized GE servicer out here soon. I would like to know what the probability is that there is an actual sealed system problem, and if this does indeed sound like one. Also, has anyone been successful with a sealed system warranty claim with GE?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Yesterday, 06:33 AM.
added model number to title

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

Part number: AP3185407

Part number: AP3185407

Are the sensors functioning correctly? Have you tested these per the tech sheet?

#3 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

Yes, I did check them all out at about 6 ohms at room temp, does one of these in particular control the overall temp? Seems like one bad thermistor shouldn't take out the whole thing, but this thing seems to be an experiment in bad design.

#4 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

https://docs.google....EMQ0/edit?pli=1

What are the voltage readings?

#5 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

1.7vdc J1-1 to 5
1.4vdc J2,3,4 to J5

Fridge at room temp

#6 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:06 PM

Seeing this voltage diff and doing a little more stabbing, I'm getting the following resistances:
J1-J5- 7.82 ohms at 69 degrees (FF evap per tech sheet)
J2, 3,4-5 all 5.92,5.85,5.86 kohms.

Looks like one of these is not like the others.... Can this one cause me the problems I'm seeing? No cooling at all pretty much? Compressor running at minimum.

Thanks again

#7 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

Looks like the tech sheet is requiring 10ohms for the compressor windings for all 3. Do you have your tech sheet? The ohms are indicated on the compressor windings on the wiring diagram.

Edited by weswayne, 23 April 2015 - 10:17 PM.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,761 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:01 PM

If all fans are running continuously then sensors are not your issue.... have you checked evap frost pattern? Did you test compressor pins to ground?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:04 AM

Yes, pulled back interior, no frost at all, no temp gradient anywhere on sealed sys parts. I do
Have tech sheet, I'll check for that tomorrow. I did check all 3 phases to ground, all were open. Could all phases be equal like mine but still bad? Is a mechanical internal failure possible/probable in compressor? Almost like compressor is running no load amps. Any feel for what it should draw with a 5.6 vdc control voltage to inverter?

#10 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:16 AM

I will be heading to parts store today to rerun the fan, do you think I should bother replacing this thermistor that is out from the others? Would this be the one in the wall between fridge and freezer on fridge side? None of the prints really identify where this one is by name.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,761 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:36 AM

Although your resistance is equal on all threr compressor phases, I have not seen a working GE variable compressor with resistance that low...

I have seen Whirlpool compressors where 6 ohms is the norm but GE calls out 10 ohms. The tech sheet I have for your model doesn't specify.

Btw... this is a non-Samsung made GE SxS with dual evaps?... uh.. yeah... sealed system failure... lol

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,761 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 AM

From GE regarding variable speed compressors (from a manual for a different model but same should apply)

gallery_51884_80_240476.jpg

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Yesterday, 06:46 AM.

#13 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 AM

Well, I guess this is good news... It is under warranty for the sealed system. Any advice for making the process to get warranty service as easy as possible? It seems like it could be one of those things where the five you the run around. Also, if it is a sealed system failure with low resistances, seems logical that it would destroy inverter. Is this new one I have toast too? It still shows good amps when running and has run a total of maybe 10 mins for troubleshooting. Lastly,would a new inverter be covered if compressor failed under sealed system warranty? Especially if that's what caused it to fail?

I'm not an appliance guy, but based on the amount of info out there on this fridge, is this compressor just a garbage system? I want to be in on the lol too.... Thanks again!!

#14 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:29 AM

The inverter is not considered part of the sealed system, so not covered under the extended sealed system warranty.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#15 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:37 AM

Is there any reason to think that my new inverter would be bad after the short time testing with this compressor? It is still showing amps when running, and the compressor does appear to be starting. It's just not doing snything.

#16 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 AM

Your new inverter is most likely still OK.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#17 domsan

domsan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Now that I have a service appointment scheduled, they want me to leave fridge plugged in 24-48 hours before appointment. I understand the reasoning but this seems like a bad idea, and sure fire way to blow out another inverter. Any recommendations on what I should do? It sounds like, for a warranty claim I'm on the hook for the diagnostic fee, then if sealed system problem is confirmed, ge warrants that work parts and labor. Does anyone know if the compressor is found faulty if the diagnostic fee is covered as well by ge?

Sorry to ask so many questions on this, it's just irritating to not be able to fix it.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,571 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted Today, 07:19 AM

You've had a sealed system leak. Running the fridge like this won't harm the inverter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics