Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Nd code Samsung WF330ANW/XAA - won't drain, motor hums

Samsung Washer nd code wont drain

22 replies to this topic

#1 belsonrepair

belsonrepair

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Light

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

Okay everyone, I will try to be as brief as I can while explaining all of the steps I have already taken. I received a call about a Samsung front load washer which would not drain and was receiving an nd code as well. Went there and did a quick test on all of the functions and everything worked perfectly fine except for the drain pump test. When I tested the pump all it did was hum. So I tore the washer apart and accessed the pump in order to clean it out. Was able to remove some lint and hair, but nothing too major. Tested the pump outside of the machine isolated by itself and it spun great and worked as expected. Hooked everything back up and installed all components of the washer and tested it again. Drain pump still worked and actually pumped out one load of water. Problem solved, right? Left customers house and got a call later about it popping up an nd code again and not draining.

Went back the next day and ran the quick test again. Pump was only humming, but if you reached in the filter housing with a long screwdriver you could flick one of the impellers and the pump would start running. So then I thought that the windings were bad on the pump so I purchased a new pump. Get it all hooked up and it basically does the same exact thing. It worked isolated from the machine and pumped water out on the very first try. But now all it is doing is humming and will start to run if it is manually started with a screwdriver.

****Also, if you manually start the pumps with a screwdriver, both of them will continue to run until water is added into the machine. As soon as you add any amount of water into the washing machine, the pumps act like they are "seized" up and will start to hum. 

My question is am I missing something else to check? Something with the control board? Would there be something that is frying these motors? Would water level have anything to do with it? I'm stumped......any help would be greatly appreciated, have already put way too much time into this thing.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Test the voltage from the board to the pump to make sure the board is actually sending out 120VAC. 

Edited by weswayne, 23 April 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#3 belsonrepair

belsonrepair

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:29 AM

I forgot to mention that I did check that as well, it was sending 120.9VAC.....

If the motor is just humming when it has motor in it does that mean the pump is shot? It almost acts like it doesn't have enough power to pump when it has water in it. The only thing I don't understand is why did it pump water out the very first time then. That's why I was wondering if there was anything else working against the pump or if by chance there was something that is frying these motors.

#4 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted Yesterday, 08:26 AM

1. Chances are the pump has failed.  2.  These pumps aren't that strong to begin with.  3.  Using a shop vac on the end of the drain hose, does water freely drain out?  If not, you need to take the rest of the drain hoses apart and look for blockage.  Most likely at the 90* elbow that the sump hose is attached to (the one touching the tub)

#5 belsonrepair

belsonrepair

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 AM

It's just frustrating because I installed a brand new pump on it. You think the second pump failed as well? Is there something that would have caused this with a brand new one? Is there any way a surge of power got to it and fried it?

And yes, water flows out freely but it gets held up at the pump. If you open the drain valve and filter cover on the bottom front of the washer all of the water will empty out of it. I tore apart all hoses and elbows and cleaned out any and everything inside of them. It just acts as though its not strong enough to pump out the water and it seizes up.

Is there anyway the new pump was bad from the factory and I need to purchase another one?

Id just hate to go buy another new pump and have the same problem occur.

#6 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:53 AM

How high is the stand pipe for the drain, could be too high and gookus has built up in the nose to reduce water flow...............Fill with water,  disconnect the drain hose at the stand pipe, ( have a pail ready)   put unit into a drain cycle, lower the drain hose..starts to pump out????

#7 belsonrepair

belsonrepair

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:22 AM

I can definately try this out because the pipe does go up pretty high. But the consumer has had this setup for 3 years with no problems. Is it possible that out of nowhere it just starts to stop working?

Also, would it make sense that when I hooked the new pump up it worked great the first time but not after that? Could some sludge have got in the pump?

#8 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:41 AM

What were the resistance ohms on the old motor and new motor after you said they failed?

#9 belsonrepair

belsonrepair

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 PM

The resistance ohms on both of them were about 13.4-13.6.

I ran the drain hose into a tub and ran a water test and drain test several times. Every time we did this it would drain the machine out. So i left and the customer attempted a quick wash cycle and when the cycle hit 19 minutes left it wouldn't drain and all the motor did was hum. And this cycle was just run into a tote on the floor where it was draining all the water during a quick test.

This thing really has me lost at this point

#10 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:49 PM

Doesnt sound like the motors are getting burned up, the resistance looks good. Tech sheet calls for 13.9 ohms. I am wondering what the voltage measurement would be during the "humming" of the drain pump. I see you have taken the voltage measurement but did you check the voltage during the actual drain pump failure. Perhaps the board is failing to send proper voltage under certain loads. See if you can get another voltage reading from the control board during the failure if you have not done that already. Check for broken wire or bad connection in the plugs.

#11 belsonrepair

belsonrepair

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 PM

How would you go about checking the voltage during the failure?

#12 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:52 PM

From the control board Connector CN2 Pin 3(Brown) and CN3 Pin 3(Violet). Should get 120vac with pump "humming". Looking at the wiring diagram the voltage also passes through the door lock switch from control board to the pump.

Edited by weswayne, Yesterday, 09:55 PM.

#13 belsonrepair

belsonrepair

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:54 PM

If I dont get 120vac?

#14 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:55 PM

control board is bad per manual troubleshooting

Edited by weswayne, Yesterday, 09:57 PM.

#15 belsonrepair

belsonrepair

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 PM

You know a part number on that board?

#16 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Part number: AP4568200

Part number: AP4568200

DC92-00381E You will need to verify part number with your model and washer version. It is coming up as unavailable on the appliancepartspros.com site.

Edited by weswayne, Yesterday, 10:15 PM.

#17 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,500 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted Today, 02:11 AM

If your pump is humming then you are getting voltage.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,577 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted Today, 07:15 AM

You don't need the board, you need a new pump. Common failure. Part number: DC96-01700A

Part number: DC96-01700A

#19 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted Today, 08:25 AM

Two pumps in a row with the same failure and the same symptoms.... before throwing another pump or a board at the problem, make sure the environment is right: 

1)  When you have the drain pump actually throwing water, what are you hearing?  Does the gurgle rise in pitch? 

2)  What is the water in the machine like?  How does the machine feel? Could the pressure hose or pressure bell be full of gunk that is messing with the pressure switch?

3)  How much hose is in the standpipe?  Lowe's crews love to shove about two feet of hose down there.

4)  I don't know how this Samsung is set up, but an Electrolux could have a sock in the coin catcher.  When you mess around with the hose while messing with the pump, the sock could move out of the coin catcher up into the bellows and then work its way down.  Then you'd get one drain and one blocked drain.

5)  Do we know for sure the drain hose has no coins acting as valves? 

What is the simplest, dumbest explanation? Because that's the most probable one. 

#20 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted Today, 09:43 AM

Part number: AP4564724

Part number: AP4564724

1. First I've seen you can get this as an assembly! Did you install the whole assembly or just the drain pump motor?Part number: AP4202690

Part number: AP4202690

Did you buy from a reputable sources?  As in a source that resales used pumps?

2.  That plastic 90* Elbow is where I have seen 100% of coin blockages on these Samsungs.  

Can you suck the water out of the end of the drain hose with a wet vac? No?  Blockage of some sort.  

Edited by MicaBay, Today, 09:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics