Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE PFS22MISBBB changing thermistor in FF section

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted Yesterday, 09:10 AM

I got the manual and tested the thermistors.  The test (I think) shows two bad.  It showed 0-2 and 0-5.  The fridge is freezing ok in the bottom freezer and the damper seems to work when tested but the fridge section is warm 65 degrees.  I know you can test the thermistors at the board  J3  but I can't find which wires to check and I can't see how you are supposed to change the one in the top of the FF section.  I could use some help on this.  I can get it out but it has no wire to play with and no space to put it back in with a new one spliced in with but connectors on it.  Is there a trick to this.  Also the o-2 and 0-5 show open thermistors but I don't know which ones they are and can't find any  reference as to which one is 2 and which one is 5.  The others check ok 1,3,4 have a P.  Could someone point me in the right direction.  This is a french door GE bottom freezer.

thanks

Doc

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 AM

You have tech sheet 31-51651?

The refrigerator diagram show 3 locations only.

The wiring diagram shows 3 thermistors. FF pin 1, FZ pin 3, EVAP pin 4 at Plug J1 (looks like J1). J3 is the damper

#3 weswayne

weswayne

Kohai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Is the evaporator fan running? Have you checked for ice buildup on the evaporator?

#4 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:52 AM

Ok, I see that now, thanks.   What about changing the one in the FF section located on the top of the fridge and with a very short wire and no room?  Ever done one of those?

Doc

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted Yesterday, 12:00 PM

https://www.amazon.c...ASIN=B004EFK6LK

I can't really see where the sensor is and have never had an issue changing them on a GE. Maybe a connector like the one above can work. Thats sort of like the ones Whirlpool sends with their sensors. I've used the regular butt splices on a very small sensor on an LG. It was a pain, but it worked. Are you sure you don't have a defrost issue or something blocking the air? I recently worked on a friend's bottom mount GE that had a double freezer drawer. I've never seen this style, but it had a defrost issue that couldn't be seen from the panel. The return vents were actually under the bottom of the evaporator and they were blocked off with ice and the freezer was cooling fine. You could always remove you air tower to verify if you are getting air up to the top.

#6 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:53 PM

I checked the damper and it works.  When I removed it from the fridge it was closed and when it was out I couldn't feel any aire coming into the fridge even with the fan running and the damper removed.  Maybe it could be those return vents.  I hadn't thought about that but now you mention it I should have had air (even if the damper wasn't opening) when I had it removed.   Dah

Thanks for that tip

I never checked the evap because no frost and the freezer was working good.  I need to pull the cover off, I guess because it's kind of a pain to get to it.

Doc

Edited by electro_doc, Yesterday, 12:54 PM.

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

OK with the new information and a better understanding of what is going on I went back and checked the thermistors again.  By the way if someone is reading this and wants to know how to check them  then this is for you.  The fridge was at 70 degrees and I checked it at J1-5  &  J1-1.  It read 5.4 (close enough).  The freezer evap thermistor was was 2.1 and the freezer was 0 degrees,  I thought that was weird.  It  was checked at J1-5 and J1-4.   The freezer thermistor was 37.5 and the freezer was 0 degrees which is about right.  I checked it at J1-5 and J1-3.  I didn't open it up to inspect the evap because I had no time.  Just thought I'd send this out there and see it you have any idea why the freezer evao thermistor would be indicating so high unless the freezer just had a defrost cycle but then the freezer thermistor wouldn't be indicating the freezer was at 0 degrees.  Any thoughts?

Doc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics