Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid KEYE760WAL1 Dryer gets hotter than normal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Need-a-fix

Need-a-fix

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud

Posted Today, 04:29 PM

Hello! Originally the dryer wouldn't get hot, but would run, blowing only cold air. A little history on that, it all started when the kids had some clothes in the dryer, and something had hung on the tab that the door closes onto. I walked by it later in the cycle and noticed that the dryer was super hot! I had never felt it radiate that much heat in all the years we have had it. So we found that there was an article of clothing that had been twisted into, well, a twisted article of clothing. We corrected the issue, continued the dry cycle and later noticed that from then on, it only blew cold air.

I researched issues and found several that I used my multimeter to test. Those being the thermal cutoff, the voltage, cycling thermostat, thermal fuse, hi-limit thermostat, heater element, and finally the timer. To make a long story shorter, I called and had a tech come out because I couldn't find any fault, I even took the parts to the local appliance shop and they tested and confirmed there was no fault with the parts. The first thing the tech tested, was the thermal cutoff, and it tested bad..... Can't tell you how many times and ways this was tested...lol. So I bought and changed out the cutoff and the hi-limit thermostat (they came together in a kit). Well now it gets hot. Really hot. The element glows and the back near the top of the dryer as well as the top of the dryer on the left side gets really hot. This is both connected to the dryer duct that goes up into the roof as well as leaving it disconnected from the dryer duct to eliminate a clogged duct. Same results both ways. So I found your video on Youtube and thought I would be safe and replace the cycling thermostat, as I believe that I eliminated everything else.  It still gets very hot and stays glowing all the time, so I thought maybe, just maybe that I may have crossed the purple wires that go to the thermostat portion of the switch. So I switched them around. I haven't run it very long, but it seemed that it heats up and then the element gets slightly dimmer. It;s really hard to tell if it my eyes adjusting to it, (in darkness so i can see it better), or if it is actually doing what it is supposed to. I'm really not sure what it is supposed to do ther, I know the tech had hard wired the cut-off and was watching the element, I assume it was doing whatever it was supposed to be doing at that time. Is it normal for the back and top to get this hot on an older working unit? I just can't recall it doing this and since having the clothes hung up in the unit and now it working again, it seems really hot. What else, if anything should I or can I look for, test, clean or replace?

So, here I am. Sorry for the long post, I thought I would try to provide as much detail as possible, and thank you so very much for having a place for folks like me to come to get suggestions, etc...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics