Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Maytag washer leaving oil spots on clothes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Johnny Boy`_*

Lurker_Johnny Boy`_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

My Matag washer, m# LAT8426AAE is leaving oil spots on our clothes. This is the only problem we have. It's not leakin any water or leaking oil in the cabinet area. Only on the clothes. Would replacing the stem & seal kit solve this problem. I already removed the inner drum & I just need to remove the stem & seal. Is there a srew holding the stem in place or is it threaded on ? I looked with a mirror & it seams like there might be a set screw holding it. Thanks for any input...John

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:48 AM

Hello, my spotty friend.  While nibbling on a delicious plate of camel dip prepared for me by my lovely wife, Amatullah, I stumbled around the Samurai's washer diagnostic page.  It includes a solution to your exact problem.  For your reading pleasure, I have reprinted below the Samurai's illuminating and uplifting solution to this problem:

Take a chill pill, Prudence, it's probably not the washer's fault (unless it's a GE/Hotpoint). Now, get ready to have your little mind blown: most of time, spots on clothes are from a chemical reaction between the fabric softener and the detergent. Oh sure, don't believe me, go hire a lawyer, I don't give a rip. But you might unbunch your panties just long enough to do this little test: try handwashing a spotted garment in warm soapy water. If the spots come off, they were caused by fabric softener/detergent interaction. I know, I'm a genius. But talk is cheap--thank me with your wallet, not your lips.

Allahu Akbar!

#3 Lurker_puppydog_*

Lurker_puppydog_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:55 AM

Oh great samurai, you state spots are a chemical reaction between laundry detergent and fabric softener.  I get these spots that look the same color as the clothes just darker.  I use detergent in the washer, duh.  I put a fabric softener sheet in the dryer, of course.  Please confirm, since they are not in the same machine, for true, are these spots just a chemical reaction?   Stop using fabric softener sheets or change detergent?  Do you have a recommendation, detergent and fabric sheets that get along?

#4 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

If your seal kit were leaking, the gunk that it emits is pretty noticeable. Almost like a black grease. If your spots are the same color just darker, could very well be liquid detergent stains. Also, do they happen on everyones clothes or just one member. Could be something staining them prior. If you had a boot seal issue, you would know it pretty quick on your white or light colors. No hiding those smudges.     
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics