Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Another Asshole Customer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

Got another asshole customer for you.

Homeowner not home, so her mother is at the house waiting for me.  Not even 5 minutes in the call she is sticking the phone in my face to talk to her son in law. 

He's asking me what could be wrong with his 8 year old GE front loading washer.  Mind you the dryer is stacked on the washer, there is less than a foot of room in front of the unit, laundry tub is on the left, and a mountain of clothes and filth on the floor, so all I have room to do is remove the bottom front access panel.

Description of problem was loud bagging noises and smoke coming out the door of the unit in the spin cycle.

I run the machine on high speed spin, no strange noises or smoke.

I then go out to my van to check for possible recalls on the unit and find none.  THEN the woman of the house comes home, She just stands there glaring at me through the open window of my van. I look up and say "Hi Ma'am, I am just checking to see if there are any recalls out there on your washing machine."  She says in a very angry sounding voice "EXCUSE ME?"

I repeat myself and then she says "My mother says you were rude to her, you complained that we didn't tell you the washer was stacked on the dryer and you don't even try to take the machine apart to see what's wrong with it. "

I then say, "I already know what's wrong with it and it is not worth fixing. You need a new outer tub and a wash basket, The repair can't be done here, we would have to bring the machine in the shop because you don't have enough room to do the work here.  It's not worth fixing."

She then says, "How do you know that without taking it a part?

I then say:

I have been a professional appliance technician for over 20 years, I know what I am doing.

I then give her the bill for the trip charge and she refuses to pay it. She tells me I need to leave her house now. I pack everything up and leave and totally ignore her foul mouth.

I don't need assholes like her telling me how to do my job.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

I don't understand the need to check for a recall if you knew the spider and or bearings had failed.

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

GE has a recall for this issue, but her model and serial did not come up on this recall.

Scott Wolf

#4 weswayne

weswayne

Senpai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

Will you be sending her the bill in the mail? Collection agency?

You just can't help some people.

Edited by weswayne, 10 May 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,866 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

... then she says "My mother says you were rude to her, you complained that we didn't tell you the washer was stacked on the dryer and you don't even try to take the machine apart to see what's wrong with it. "....

This one calls for quoting Steve martin while mimicking
Mr. Bean:

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 10 May 2015 - 04:49 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 Samtech

Samtech

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:MGD

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

I always thought there should be a site where tradespeople and technicians could report undesirable customers. So we also could pre-screen customers before going out. They review us, we'll review them.    :wc:

You Break, I Fix

#7 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

I always thought there should be a site where tradespeople and technicians could report undesirable customers. So we also could pre-screen customers before going out. They review us, we'll review them.    :wc:

There is one but it's useless.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

www.theappliancetechnician.net

#8 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:09 PM

I admire your calm composure.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

www.theappliancetechnician.net

#9 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,595 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:57 PM

I had a similar situation last month. Customer had a frigidaire laundry center and the dryer was squeeling super loud. Well we all know what the problem is with that description.

So I proceeded to quote a rear bearing, front felts and a belt and she went semi crazy on me (landlord). Couldn't believe I knew what was wrong without tearing it down. It was one of those situations that the customer would have complained to everyone and left negative online reviews so I just walked out.

Then she called back to tell me that she paid someone to "actually" diagnose it and found the same things I did plus one other thing. She denied my repair and his as well.

The customer that won't trust your diagnosis don't need your services. "No charge ma'am, have a nice day and don't waste my time again."

Edited by Applianceman97, 10 May 2015 - 11:58 PM.

Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#10 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

We Fix Shit Great!

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Six Point Brewey Hi-Res IPA

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

I used Uber this weekend for the first time.  I was talking to the driver and apparently the drivers can rate the customers.  He said customers with a low rating will definitely have trouble getting a car because no one good will pick them up, only drivers that have low ratings themselves.

Uber is fantastic by the way, better than NYC cabs by miles.

Edited by LI-NY Tech, 11 May 2015 - 07:09 AM.

David
RD Appliance Service, Corp.

PO Box 234, Bethpage, NY, 11714

516-561-0523

http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

29gloav.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics