Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Washer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smarsden

smarsden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

Amana washing machine ,model: lwc50aw.  Metalic , loud grinding noise when in spin cycle.  Could this be a simple bearing failure?  Sounds okay on wash cycle.

Thanks S.M.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,835 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:00 AM

It may just be the brake dragging.  Pray to the pot-bellied Buddha that this is your only problem because the other possibility, a failed hub and seal kit, has been known to make grown men wet themselves and squeal like little piglets

Remove the front panel inspect the innards for signs of leaking:  streaks, rust, etc.  Run the washer and try to locate the source of the noise visually.  Fill the tub to maximum level and watch for leaks.  Report your findings here.  Photos may be helpful.

#3 smarsden

smarsden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

There is some moisture and some rust around what appears to be the outer race of the upper   bearing just below the tub . Also the brake  slips intermittently when agitating with a big load in the tub.  The washer is only about three years old.  Is this signs of a crappy machine?  Should I just start shopping for a replacement ?  I will wait for a reply before I wet myself and shriek like a pig.

thanks S.M.

#4 ktsenya2

ktsenya2

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:11 AM

That certainly sounds like a bearing and seal failure. Changing them out on an Amana is a big job but by no means an insurmountable task. Being an experienced tech such a job goes about 2+ hours and so a novice should be able to do it in 3-4 (?).
The machine does need to be dissassembled all the way down to the base plate :(, not unlike the simpler Maytag bearing seal changeout. If youre handy with tools, you ought to be able to handle it.

#5 smarsden

smarsden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Replaced seals and upper bearing.  It took about two and half hours just to disasemble and about four to five with beer breaks to reasemble.  All looked good until the spin cycle.  All hell broke loose. The motor was humming under what sounded like excessive load and then the breaker tripped.  Reset breaker.  Then when the spin started to get up a bit of speed the water started coming up over the sides of the outer tub.  Holy cow shut her down quick like a bunny.  I did replace the vee belt while the machine was apart.  Read something about simular machine that said the belt is supposed to slip some until the water is mostly pumped out.  Is this true of this machine?  Wrong belt?

Slowly getting buried under a pile of dirty laundry,  Stephen.

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:06 AM

Did you buy the belt from an auto parts store by just matching up with length of old belt? If this is what you did, this is your problem.

This machine requires a special cloth coated belt so that it give the correct clutching action, (slips until water is all drained before bringing tub to full spin speed).

If you installed a regular auto belt the rubber belt will grip to tight and with a full load of water overload the motor for too long tripping your circuit breaker or the thermal overload in the motor.

Here's the belt you should have installed: Part# 27001007 CLICK HERE
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

[user=338]smarsden[/user] wrote:

There is some moisture and some rust around what appears to be the outer race of the upper bearing just below the tub .

Welcome to Hell

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::burning:
:burning::burning::burning::burning::burning::burning:
:burning::burning::burning:

Nobody wants to do this job. Appliance techs in homes for the criminally insane don't want to do this job.

Willie gives sound advice. Only use the factory-authorised replacement belt.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 smarsden

smarsden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:37 PM

Got the correct belt and the machine works great.  Thankyou very much for your help.  Now I know why most peple just junk the machine and by a new one.  If I had to pay a repair tech. it would have cost me a wad of cash close to the value of the machine.

SM

#9 reeferman

reeferman

Sōhei

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Pure water

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

I have a speed queen with a likely bearing and seal failure - any idea where I can get a factory manual on how to disassemble and replace these tricky parts...?

Ross

ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics