Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Upper fridge is not cooling - Kitchenaid KFIS29PBMS00

freezer coils defrost upper does not

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hello all,

My first post although I've used infor on this sight main times! I have what may be a unique problem or perhaps not........

My Kitchenaid French door lower freezer model KFIS29PBMS00 does not cool in the upper fridge section. There is a smaller condenser coil in this upper section that does frost up and will eventually ice over. The lower main coil in the freezer section does not frost up or ice up so I know the heater etc is working. I thought perhaps the evaporator fan and thermostat may have an issue and replaced them. Still, upper fridge is not cooling enough. I dont know how it gets it's cool air as the lower freezer does cool the "pantry" drawer that has it's own temp control and that works fine. Everything else in the upper fridge does not cool sufficiently. I believe this fridge uses a dual coil system. So, is the problem that upper coil and what can I do to fix the issue?

Thanks very much!

Bluemoon

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

Multiple issues concerning these dual evaporator units.  You may have to retrieve the technical sheet from the upper/right door hinge cover and perform the service diagnostic routine.  Check component operation (evaporator fan motor, damper, 3 way valve, etc) and thermistor conditions.

Also note the frost pattern of the iced up evaporator.  Is it iced completely across the coil?

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

Yea, getting the tech sheet out and running evaporator motor test in the fresh food section is probably a good place to start. I've only had this issue one time. The harness coming out of the wall had broken wires, so the fan wouldn't power up. That was on a fridge still in warranty. They replaced the fridge, but there looked to be enough wire to splice outside of the connector. Door switches needs to be closed when checking fan operation outside of diagnostics

#4 Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

Thanks guys. Are you saying there is a physical piece of paper under the hinge cover? Hmmm. I'll look. Also, where is the evaporator fan located in the upper portion of the fridge and how do I get to it? The upper coil has iced up, but has only been frosty lately. Also, how do I check component operation (evaporator fan motor, damper, 3 way valve, etc) and thermistor conditions ? Is there a tutorial on this forum to do this?

Thanks again!

Bluemoon

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

The tech sheets' pretty self explanatory and will walk you through each step.  The evaporator fan motor is located behind the evaporator cover, but I believe you've already replaced it according to your original post.

The evaporator frost pattern may reveal if you have a sealed system problem or a possible thermistor or air flow issue.

You can search for more info within this forum by typing your model number in the search field above.  More information may be available in the Download Section but you'll have to upgrade your membership to access it.

#6 weswayne

weswayne

Senpai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

http://appliantology...ervice-pointer/

#7 Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. When I went in to replace the upper (fridge) evaporator fan, I found a wire that had come out of one of the connectors. So, I pulled the corresponding wire from the other half, cut the ends and stripped them, soldered and then wrapped them in electrical tape. I secured this wire to the rest of the harness and put everything back together. Problem solved! So, after ordering two evaporator fans (freezer and upper coil fans) off eBay for pennies on the dollar ($20 and $30 shipped), the problem was the dreaded wiring harness the manufacturer has had many issues with. Unfortunately, mine was out of warranty (1.5 years old), but with help on this forum, a little detective work in finding the service manual on-line for free (see link below), I was able to fairly easily disassemble everything, perform the diagnostic tests VERY easily using the door control panel (display on door for user) fixed the problem, found no errors otherwise and my fridge works great once again. Hey, I spent $50 on parts before discovering the service manual, but that was less than a service call. For those who need to save money, this was easy for the novice. For those like me that love a challenge to save money and just plain figure it out themselves (the challenge), it was a great learning experience! Nothing is too difficult if you just use a little brain power, patience and determination. Unfortunately, this is a quality many of us have lost out of plain laziness or lack of will. The American way? Don't give up, be innovative and have a hard work ethic. We've become too lazy people! For me, it had very little to do with cost of repair, but rather teaching my children the value of their money. In this world of virtual "instant" gratification, we need to teach our children patience and hard work. 

Sorry for the lecture, but this is a huge part of what this country needs...... the hard working American spirit!

#8 Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

Oops, I forgot to include the service manual link:

http://www.msaworld....4924-R-114-.pdf

On this Memorial Day weekend......thank you to all our vets and servicemen who have served and given their lives to this great human experiment in what became the greatest nation in history...America!

We were not built by Kings or Queens or "royalty", but by the idea of individual liberty. Yes, we are that one exceptional nation because of this grand experiment. Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction......

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,930 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:19 AM

On this Memorial Day weekend......thank you to all our vets and servicemen who have served and given their lives to this great human experiment in what became the greatest nation in history...America!

Completely agree! That's why we at MasterSamuraiTech.com is proud to partner with ApplianceZone.com in offering an appliance tech training scholarship program to our veterans. Learn all about it here: http://appliancetechscholarship.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics