Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE PSS26SGRB SS, fridge left open accidentally overnight, burning smell in fridge

GE PSS26SGRB Side by side Burning smell in fridge Left open overnight

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 weosys

weosys

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:30 PM

Wise men of appliances, please help.

Last night my wife or I left the fridge door open overnight. There was much speculation as to who was responsible. My wife has assured me that is of no concern at this time, and this should remain a mystery.

The facts:

The fridge was accessed at 2:30 am, freezer temp 0 degrees, fridge temp 36 degrees, no odd smells, and all light bulbs working

The fridge door was left open between 2:30 am - 3:00 am.

The open fridge was discovered at 8:00 am. freezer temp -10 degrees, fridge temp 61 degrees, burning smell in fridge, and one or more light bulbs not working. Closed door at this time.

9:00 am, no change in temps, burning smell, or light bulbs. Unplugged power, emptied fridge and freezer, and left doors open. Then left for the day.

I don't know the source of the burning smell. I don't want to cause any further damage than what may already be done. How should I proceed before reconnecting power? What should I inspect or test?

Sincerely,

Humble Grasshoppah

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Wingerman

Wingerman

Sōhei

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted Yesterday, 08:35 PM

To begin with 1) Check the board for burns.  2) The compressor, relay, and overload need to be checked, as they got a heck of a workout.  3) Fans running non-stop to keep up could have taken out the motor(s) and board, hence the smell.

Edited by Wingerman, Yesterday, 08:39 PM.

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,869 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Burning smell in fridge.... do you mean fresh food side or freezer side. If by fridge, you mean the odor is coming from fresh food side, then more than likely a light bulb burning against a lens.

Unless you have a bad condenser fan motor, clogged condenser or bad start device , there should be no damage to your compressor. Those ge compressors are designed to run 80 to 90 percent of the time anyway.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Yesterday, 08:54 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics