Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE TFX20JR - Leaking water in floor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thetommyboy2k

thetommyboy2k

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

Hey there!

We have a GE TFX20JR side-by-side refrigerator that came with our home new in 1998.  It has been trouble free for the most part throughout 17 years, but now there's a problem with water leaking in the floor.  I cleaned out the freezer section, removing everything to get to the defrost tube in the bottom.  I tried clearing the tube in case there was an obstruction.  I thought that would fix the problem, but unfortunately it's still leaking.  I shined a flashlight under the fridge and found a slow drip off to the left of the whole fridge.

What else do I need to check?  I would rather try to fix it than get rid of it if it's feasible money wise.  

Thank you in advance!

Tommy 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

Was the drain line in the bottom of the freezer frozen or clogged? How did you "try" clearing it?

I'd check the water lines in the back of the unit especially around the compressor. I've seen them crack from the heat the compressor puts out while running. Especially if the condenser and the back of the unit is clogged with dust.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

www.theappliancetechnician.net

#3 weswayne

weswayne

Senpai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Check the compression union that joins the water lines, if you are talking about water leaking from the front left of the fridge whilst facing the unit. May need to remove the grill. Open both freezer and fridge doors and pull the grill straight off.

Part number: AP2060230

Part number: AP2060230

#4 thetommyboy2k

thetommyboy2k

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

Was the drain line in the bottom of the freezer frozen or clogged? How did you "try" clearing it?

I'd check the water lines in the back of the unit especially around the compressor. I've seen them crack from the heat the compressor puts out while running. Especially if the condenser and the back of the unit is clogged with dust.

There was an old Ziploc bag covering it, which I removed.  To make sure the drain line wasn't clogged inside, I poured hot water, not boiling, with a mix of baking soda for 15 minutes to clear it.

Should I need to pull the fridge out, I know this unit has two rear wheels.  Do I need to tilt the fridge to look under the bottom of the fridge, or will I just need to access the back?  I'll definitely check the water lines in the back and I'll also definitely check the compression union.  Thank you both!

Tommy

#5 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

If you had a bag covering your drain line it could have been leaking from the front if you have ice in the bottom of the freezer. Since you're working on the frige I'd pull it out and take the back off and clean the dust out of it just for good measure when you check the lines by the compressor. You should do that from time to time anyway.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

www.theappliancetechnician.net

#6 thetommyboy2k

thetommyboy2k

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:10 PM

I looked and felt around the compression union on the front per weswayne's suggestion.  I couldn't spot a leak despite the water pooling up near the front left of the fridge.  When I shined a flashlight under the fridge yesterday, I saw where it was dripping, it's towards the middle all the way on the left side of the fridge.  Any thoughts as to where it could be coming from based on that?

Thanks again!

Tommy

#7 johntech

johntech

Wigwagin Dragon

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted Today, 09:09 AM

You need to roll her out and visually inspect the water lines and water valve. All leak troubleshooting is visual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics