Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF560SEYM00

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

The customer reports he is having to manually defrost this unit every 3-4 days. He states that another servicer has replaced the control board & "something inside the freezer compartment" but the unit still does not defrost. I cannot locate a termination thermostat on the drawing. I am assuming that the unit goes into defrost, but cuts out early. Do you have a part number for the thermostat or whatever part it is that terminates defrost? The customer already has $500 in this repair with no results and the original servicer says there's nothing he can do. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 weswayne

weswayne

Senpai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

Do you have access to the tech sheet to run diagnostics to check the thermistors and heater in the freezer. The thermal fuses may be blown that are in line with the heater. Looks like the evaporator thermistor controls the defrost. There is an evaporator thermistor and a freezer thermistor in the freezer compartment.

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

Part number: ap5305451

Part number: ap5305451

These are the only thing I've found wrong with this model type when it comes to defrost issues. I'd be willing to bet it was changed already if they said something in the freezer was changed.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 28 May 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#4 weswayne

weswayne

Senpai

• Chief+ Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:14 PM

tech sheet

http://appliantology...and-parts-list/

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,877 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:07 AM

I'd be willing to bet it was changed already if they said something in the freezer was changed.

I'll take that bet. I bet the servicer changed the defrost limit....

If he changed the board but the problem was just a thermistor, that tells me the previous tech probably didn't know what he was doing.

I bet he was using old diagnostic methods on a machine with newer technology... ie he checked heater and limit... they probably checked out ok, so that leaves the board.... so he changed the board and then changed the limit for good measure. Probably wasn't aware of a thermistor.

So Bro Bryan, get your money ready as I have faith in and am banking on the current sad state of appliance techs. Why not? I witness or read about it on a daily basis.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 28 May 2015 - 03:11 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

What's funny is the first I ran into this issue, I took my sensor reading in ice water, then called Whirlpool to confirm the sensor range They didn't even ask for my sensor reading and decided it was a bad sensor. I've seen just replaced them on those models with a partial defrost issue. I still always check the heater. I don't remember there being a defrost limit binetal though. It's been a few months since I had one, so I imagine they would have one as a safety like GE uses.

Edited by BryanS, 28 May 2015 - 05:15 AM.

#7 jlb813

jlb813

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for all the help. I have ordered the thermister. I doubt that any part was changed in the freezer after talking to the customer again. His receipt only showed the control board and he remembers the tech telling him he would change out another part if he had it on his truck. What kills me is the company won't stand behind their work. If I were this guy, they would fix it or refund my money. I don't know if they even did a diagnostic check. The customer swears the guy came in, defrosted the freezer, called someone and then told them they needed a new control board. He came back a week later, pulled the unit out, changed the control board, told the customer to leave it unplugged for a couple of hours and left. Since then, the servicer has told them that the problem is in the sealed system and beyond economical repair and since he can't return the control board, there's nothing they can do. The unit operates great for 4-5 days after it is defrosted so they are just blowing smoke. Anyway, it will be next week before I go on this call, but I will post the outcome. 

Edited by jlb813, 28 May 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,877 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted Today, 03:35 PM

so I imagine they would have one as a safety like GE uses.

Federal requirement that there be a bimetal connected to the heater so you can be certain there is one in all fridges using a defrost heater.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Today, 03:36 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics