Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GSS25QGPC CC Icemaker Replacement Not Harvesting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 3mom

3mom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Shandy

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hi, my original ice maker died, so I replaced my GE Icemaker with this part in November of 2013 :http://www.repaircli...c47d613182&mr=1   A week ago it stopped harvesting ice. I initiated a manual harvest and it just repeatedly made a small odd sound but nothing happened.  It was beyond the one year parts warranty, so I ordered another identical replacement, which I installed last night.  We installed and it has rock solid ice cubes in it but won't harvest (just like the replacement one that died after 18 months).  It's been in there for over 12 hours, no ice in bin.  I tried initiating a manual harvest cycle, and it just sits there, no mechanical sound like the one that failed.  I called and they are sending me a replacement, but is there anything other than a defective ice maker that could be causing this?  I am concerned that the entire run of of ths particular replacement part might be bad.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,895 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

what's the temperature in the freezer? I believe harvest will not occur unless the icemakertemp is less than 17°f ±5%

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 31 May 2015 - 01:17 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 3mom

3mom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

Never occurred to me that might be the problem, thank you.  My son is running out to pick up a freezer thermometer now.  In the meantime my husband just called me upstairs and it the icemaker is starting to make an odd mechanical noise.  He also said he heard a second kind of "hissing" noise, which I did not hear, neither of them are particularly loud but I did hear the mechanical noise.  II did not hear the "hissing' but it's hard for me to imagine how that could have to do with the icemaker, maybe the defrost cycle and it's a coincidence (?) Still no ice.  Do you think the noises are related to the icemaker?

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,895 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Also check water pressure... do you have a filter or a reverse osmosis system? Improper filling can cause ice chards to break inside the mold causing the harvester to jam

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 3mom

3mom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

We don't have a home water filter, so there's just the internal refrigerator filter.  In general the water pressure in our house is fine, in fact a pressure reducer had to be installed when we built the house over 25 years ago.  The water seems to come out appropriately from the in-door dispenser.  It's probably time to change the fridge filter though.  I'll do that as well.  Does the water dispenser working OK mean anything - is there a standard of how fast it should dispense?

#6 3mom

3mom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

Well, unfortunately Home Depot is out of freezer thermometers, so we'll have to visit our local hardware store tomorrow (they closed early on Sunday).  But i did notice that things in the freezer compartment aren't as cold as they should be- the ice pops are mushy.  The fridge is plenty cold.  What would cause a cold fridge and not cold enough freezer in a side by side???  I'm thinking this would probably be complicated to diagnose (?)  I did search the appliantology blog and couldn't find anything about this particular problem.  Things sometimes freeze in parts of our fridge, but the freezer section is evidently not cold enough.

#7 AARDL

AARDL

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:PEPSI NEXT

Posted Yesterday, 07:52 AM

The hissing noise (when it tries to fill) could mean a broken line in back of frig, also causing no ice.

#8 3mom

3mom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Thank you, since yesterday afternoon it has mysteriously re-engaged on its own and dumped a few loads of ice.  I am truly perplexed, but I no longer think the problem is a defective ice maker.  Our fridge is around 12 years old and in trolling the web for ideas I came across a post on a different blog that had some things in common with our situation -  our fridge is plenty cold, in fact in some spots things have always tended to freeze, and that has not changed.  It does not constantly run.  However the freezer seems to not be quite as cold as it once was: http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/18445-GE-Profile-Freezer-not-getting-cold-enough%C2%A0The fridge in this post is not the same model as ours, and I haven't removed the back panel of the freezer section to physically look at the compressor.  However, the ice cream is often definitely a bit too soft and we had mushy ice pops this past weekend.  Changing the temperature settings makes no difference.  I am beginning to wonder if the working/not working ice maker is the "canary in the coal mine" signal that our compressor is slowly fading and it's time to shop for a new fridge. Any advice/thoughts would be most sincerely appreciated.

#9 acfixerdude

acfixerdude

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lagunitas IPA

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 PM

Check the condenser coils and see if they need to be cleaned/vacuumed. You should also check the freezer fan and see if it is blowing a lot of air through, if not or it seems weak, you may want to take off the evaporator cover and see if it is iced over.

Visit LBKappliance.com for service in the Lubbock, TX area!

#10 3mom

3mom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted Today, 08:53 AM

Thanks, I'll do the cleaning when I get home from work today and report back. The air flow inside the freezer compartment is plenty strong, so I don't think there is a problem with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics