Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ge profile fridge. Water Under Deli Drawer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 James Farrell

James Farrell

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

Water under deli tray again. I replaced the temp sensor, the heater coil, the fan about 3 months ago because of a temperature problem and fan noise. This fridge is really a piece of crap. $1700 and it's 4 years old. 

Any other ideas? 

Ge Profile Fridge

pfsf6pkxdbb

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

It's a samsung refrigerator. They are plagued by freezing drain lines and samsung has come out with a kit that is supposed to fix it. . . . I've installed a couple of these so far but only time will tell if they will work or if the drain will freeze up again. Is your ice maker working?

Link

http://www.appliance...-ap5957964.html

DA82-01415A is the part number if you want to look up a picture of what's in the kit.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

www.theappliancetechnician.net

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,895 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted Yesterday, 06:50 AM

If it is a drainage problem, and I suspect that it is, and if done properly, there will be no recurrence of the problem. Search this site for "Samsung drain*" and you will find lots of info.

btw, your previous problem was also caused by the drainsge issue as well. Standing water in the drainage tray sucked up by fan motor causing ice to form around fan motor. That was the noise you heard. The board will stop sending power to the fan to protect itself. Also, if any of the Styrofoam on the evaporator cover was damaged, you may have to replace the cover... the cover includes a fan and compartment sensor.

Your refrigerator is actually a pretty good one when compared to compatible fridges. This drainage problem is common but less problematic than the common problems found on similar fridges. I can do this repair and make it last by installing a piece of wire as a drain probe, modifying duckbill, steaming (i take my time) the evap cover to remove it without damaging, clearing the drain line (you must visibly see the water drain into the tray undeer the fridge) , and moving the evap thermistor to the center of the evap. No parts needed.. it takes me a while though and the labor aint cheap... but once done.. no more problems. After three years I've only had one call back... and that's because the drain line was frozen waaaay below the drain hole and I did not visibly check to see if the test water entered the tray under the fridge. That will never happen to me again.

The only engineering failure that causes this problem is the drain probe Samsung installed is too short and doesn't sufficiently keep the drain from freezing over.

In essence, this little probe doesn't prevent the drain from freezing over causing water to pool, causing the fan to suck up water, causing the water to form ice around the fan, causing the fan to get blocked, causing the board to shut the fan circuit off, causing temp problems and water to pool under crisper trays, causing customer or tech to forcibly remove the evap cover, causing the evap cover to break, causing subsequent air infiltration through the evap cover to cause excessive frosting,causing subsequent frost. and drain problems. causing fan to. freeze up once again, causing tech or customer to erroneously believe fan motor and/or board is bad, causing replacement of expensive parts that don't fix the problem, causing tech and customer to say " Samsung sucks."

I gotta tell ya, after doing countless of these repairs and following behind "experienced" techs and "mechanically inclined" diyers who replace good boards and fans without clearing the drain and then reinstall a damaged evap cover, it aint the appliance that sucks.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Yesterday, 07:07 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 James Farrell

James Farrell

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 AM

Well I have talked to a couple repair guys up here in MA and nobody will touch the thing. They said it's a design flaw and can not be fixed. What you described in your last post is beyond my capability. When I had it apart, I didn't even see a drain. One of the guys on the phone said there is no drain either. I recall a V shape under the plastic cover, which I thought there was a hole in the center based on what I read, but when I had it apart, I don't recall seeing a drain hole. Is it possible that there is not one?

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,895 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted Yesterday, 04:50 PM

Of course there is a hole... cannot be fixed? the big dummies! . I already told you the only design flaw... You wanna prove them wrong?
Here's the deal, if you have the time and patience, I will walk you through this repair... in return, you must call up each of those repair guys and tell them two things 1) tell them I said they suck...and 2) tell them next time when they have a customer with this issue refer them to you... lol..because by the time we finish, you will be more qualified than them.. deal?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Yesterday, 05:04 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 James Farrell

James Farrell

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

Sounds good man. Haha!

It's amazing to me how f'n lazy people are. Nobody wants to work or make money. Not just appliances, everything. I have to BEG people to work around here. So, in turn, I do 95% of all repairs myself. I just need to know what to do, and there's no problem. With Fridges, in the past, I get cocky assh**** repair guys on forums that think they're above me and talk in "appliance language" that I don't understand. 

However you seem like a cool guy and if you help me, I'll paypal you some cash anyhow if you like. 

So I suppose I have to empty the damn thing huh? LOL. 

Maybe I should wait till the end of the week till some of the $300 worth of stuff I bought the other day gets eaten? I have a spare fridge downstairs anyhow. 

But let me know what I need to order first and I'll get on top of that. 

#7 James Farrell

James Farrell

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Today, 12:03 PM

It's a samsung refrigerator. They are plagued by freezing drain lines and samsung has come out with a kit that is supposed to fix it. . . . I've installed a couple of these so far but only time will tell if they will work or if the drain will freeze up again. Is your ice maker working?

Link

http://www.appliance...-ap5957964.html

DA82-01415A is the part number if you want to look up a picture of what's in the kit.

Wanted to mention, my ice maker works, but it looks like it makes too much ice. It builds up in the front and my wife says it leaks sometimes, but I don't know if that's just an ice cube stuck in between the in and the out. 

#8 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted Today, 06:37 PM

That ice maker that sits in the refrigerator has a line of sight that's kinda angled from low in the back to high in the front. If you don't use the ice much it will tend to build up in the front and not have much in the back. The solution is to use more ice, yes seriously. As far as the leaking goes there is a drain line in the back of some of them that has some freezing issues. If you pull the ice bucket out if it is there ice on the floor of the icemaker container? Where's the leak coming from?

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

www.theappliancetechnician.net

#9 James Farrell

James Farrell

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Today, 07:49 PM

Don't bail on me guys I need ya's  :thumbsup:

#10 James Farrell

James Farrell

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Today, 07:57 PM

Well the ice thing is not as much a deal as the deli drawer which has about a lot of water per week under it. Sometimes it's frozen, sometimes not.  I need to know if in fact there is a permanent fix for this and how to do it, or I'm going to junk the thing. I don't want to though. It's an expensive fridge, just a year out of the extended warranty I purchased. 

I use ice constantly. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics