Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
HTJ

Oven is not reaching set temperature

3 posts in this topic

I have a G.E. Microwave Range combo. Model # JKP78G0K2BG, Manufactured in 1988.

My oven won't reach the dialed in temp. It thinks it's there and will beep to signify that it is up to temp but the thermometers that I have placed inside are reading approx. 150 degrees lower then what the digital oven display is showing. Example. I will press "BAKE" then dial in 500 degrees then hit "START". Right away the oven temp display will be showing a starting temp of 150 to 200 degrees from a cold start. That's the first sign of trouble. Within a matter of minutes the oven will beep saying it's reached 500 degrees. The thermometers I placed inside read about 325. After 30 minutes they read about 350 and that's it.

I have replaced the Bake and Broil elements as well as the temp sensor. There is no change. I want to try adjusting the thermostat through the digital display (if possible) but I don't know how to do it and I do not have the owners manual. I don't think that it will help much though. I don't think it is adjustable much more than + or - 35 degrees.

If anyone has any ideas I'm happy to hear them. I want to avoid spending a couple of thousand on a new oven. Thanks

Mike

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sound of calibration by 150F.

Do a simple math and use it. No point to spend too much repair meney on a 17 years old GE oven.

Hello, my dialing friend.  Did you know that our most dear and gracious host, Samurai Appliance Repair Man, has written an illuminating epistle on the subject of oven thermostat calibration?  Yes, it is true.  Would you like to read it?  Alright, it is here.

On some ovens, the technician's service sheet explains how to adjust the temperature of the ERC.  The service sheet is usually hidden within the appliance; in your case, I would venture to guess that it is inside the control compartment.  If not, you can always obtain a replacement directly from the GE, the Great Satan of appliance manufacturers.