Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Pro (Samsung) 40140483800 freezer temp too warm

26 replies to this topic

#1 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:03 PM

You guys were so helpful with this issue I had with the ice maker http://appliantology...-wont-dump-ice/, I thought I'd give you a go with this problem. The freezer has started randomly sitting at 12 or 13 degrees even when the compressor is going. Then I look over, and it's back at 6 (where it was set). Last night, it went to 13 and (I believe) stayed there all night. There are some self diagnostics that can be run according to the label inside the compressor compartment, but I do not have the service manual to know how to run them. There is a "Japlish" listing of self test outcomes, but no real instructions on how to run them:

Inferiority  Contents

1. sensor in fridge :  malfuntion of fridge sensor

2. defrost sensor: malfunction of defrost sensor

3. error of fan motor in fridge: malfunction of fan motor in fridge

4. sensor in fresh island: malfunction ofsensor of fresh island

5. error of defrost sensor in fridge: malfunction of defrost sensor in fridge

6. ambient sensor: malfunction of ambient sensor

7. sensor in freezer: malfunction of sensor in freezer

8. defrost sensor in freezer: malfunction ofdefrost sensor in freezer

9. error of fan motor in freezer: malfunction of fan motor in freezer

10. error of fan motor in machine compartment: malfunction of fan motor in machine compartment

11. error of defrost sensor in freezer: malfunction of defrost sensor in freezer

12. main load error: error of main load communication

13. main panel error: error of main panel communication

14. damper heater error: error of damper heater

During the operation, the self diagnostic is available when to press rapid ice and lock simultaneously.

When I press the rapid ice key and the lock key simultaneously for a few seconds, all the LED segments flash a few times and then go back to normal. According to the limited notes, they are supposed to turn on and stay on (except for the ones that indicate the errors above). And there is a diagram of the segments that correspond to the error codes. Wish I had the service manual (and better Japlish :-).

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:14 PM

While slaving at sears i ran into 2 of these units, where it wouldn't temp in freezer section.

Start with soft ice cream - no ice -food thawing out.

They both turned out to be seal system issues. 

Since no error code displayed - it has no defrost issue .

they do come with a 5 year seal system warranty, hope you get a tech that knows his samsung n seal systems.

#3 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:21 PM

Ivasquez11,

Thanks for your reply. Let me give some history. This unit is 4 years old. It has just begun to do this. It will sit at 6 degrees for hours on end, and then I look over and it is at 7, for a few seconds, then 8 for a few seconds, then 9 for a few seconds, then 10, then 11, then 12. It will sit at 12 for maybe a couple hours. Then it starts to come down (a lot slower than it went up) it may take 20 minutes for it to go back down to 6 degrees. Then it sits at 6 degrees for several hours.

I forgot to mention another fault. Inside the refrigerator section, there will be ice forming at the back louvers (those ones that go from top to bottom in the center of the refrigerator). Is that related to seam seal? It seems to me to be more related to some damper that may stay open?? Oh, the refrigerator temperature never budges from 38 deg. The ice only seems to be there when the freezer is at the higher temp. When it is at normal temp, the ice melts and water forms in the refrigerator. You know, I've noticed that ice back there occasionaly ever since we've owned the refrigerator. Just not the temp swing.

So I did the self test correctly, and flash, flash, flash means no faults?

#4 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

Doesn't anyone know what would cause ice to form on the louvers in the back of the refrigerator section (mentioned in my last update)? Should I post a new topic on this?

#5 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

Does it seem to be run none stop just maintain those temps.

Are fans in each section running. cant be the case since you mention - no error codes

take a pic of model serial tag n post it

Edited by lvasquez11, 26 June 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#6 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:12 PM

It seams to run a lot, but not all the time. I do hear it quiet some times. Have you ever seen the ice like in the refrigerator like at the vents in the back? Did I run the self test right? Also, seing the temp float down so rapidly and then remain for a couple of hours seems weird. Then most of the day, it may stay at 6 degrees.

#7 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:37 AM

Sorry I didn't see your request of the tag. Here it is, and below it is the schematic:

refrigSN.JPG?dl=0

refrig%20schem.JPG?dl=0

#8 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:48 AM

I don't know why my photos aren't showing. Using dropbox. Maybe these links will work:

https://www.dropbox....frigSN.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.... schem.JPG?dl=0

#9 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Okay, I think I have it. I turned off the ice maker and now the temperature is stable. So I think maybe the icemaker is keeping its heater on occasionally. Ice still makes fine, though. Maybe the heater gets stuck on but finally turns off??

#10 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Well, I replaced the ice maker with a new one, and it still does it! Only when the ice maker is on. Is it possible that there really is a seam seal issue, and the refrigerator usually can keep up with the temperature, but when the ice maker is heating (on and off) to release ice, it no longer can keep the temp?? Oh, and I still get the ice in the back of the refrigerator at the vents.

#11 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

Catching up on this post. Did you replace evaporator thermistors? What are the Thermistor readings when the ice maker is turned on?

I doubt the ice maker mold heater is staying on. It is possible though. You can take an IR temp gun and measure the temp directly on the ice maker mold to see what temp it is. That will tell you if its sticking on.

Also post a picture of the ice that is forming.

Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#12 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

The self test that was run allegedly reads the thermistors and did not report an error. No, the ice maker heater isn't staying on because I replaced the whole ice maker with a new one and saw the same phenomenon. The ice looks great. Oh, here's a new twist. Previously, the refrigerator was quite empty, so I experimented by adding mass (a big tub of water that froze). Now, I do not see the higher temperature as often, and when I did once, it was only 3 degrees high instead of 6 or 7.

#13 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:30 PM

If a freon leak occurred, wouldn't it never get cold enough again? This just seems to cycle.

#14 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:46 PM

The self test checks for an "open" or "shorted" thermistor. It does not check the value. This is done by checking the DC voltage reading from the control board.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

#15 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

I assume the control board is up in the top? How do I find what cable to unplug and ohm out the thermistor? Also, aren't there a couple of them? Wish I had the service manual.

#16 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

Applianceman, I think you are on to something with the thermistor. I tried turning the temp down to zero degrees, and it eventually went down. But then I looked over at it, and the temp is now 6 deg. And the compressor isn't even running. Its like it thinks it is at zero, but it really is not.

#17 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

Now, the evaporator fan is making loud noises (I presume it's the evaporator, as it quits when either door is opened). I wonder if the evaporator is icing up. I looked at the schematic, and they don't even call out a thermistor--just a few "bi-metal". Is that similar to a thermistor?

#18 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:00 PM

Could be ice hitting the fan blade. This can be caused by a plugged defrost condensate drain. Could also be from a air leaky evaporator cover (depends on which side).
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

#19 azdonw

azdonw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, I do think it was ice. But I really do believe it's related to the temperature (thermistor??) issue, as the temp was high when this was happening. After a few minutes, the temp went back down, and the noise went away.

#20 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Mutsuhito

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

That's because the fan chipped away enough of the ice to actually run. Follow the directions given above and you will find peace again with your fridge.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
"Occam's Razor 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics