Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Amana Icemaker flood

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_nzo012_*

Lurker_nzo012_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:51 AM

I went to the front of the refridg. and noticed my socks were wet because I was standing in water. I opened the freezer and found the ice makers ice tray totally filled with a solid block of frozen water; the bottom of the freezer had standing ice. Naturally the inside of the fridg also had water everywhere. I turned off the water line and let things set for a couple of hours while I danced with the mop. After every thing was semi dry again I returned the water on and watched it closely. It seemed to have dumped about a table spoon of water in the icemakers catch tray then dumped a couple of batches of regular ice as it normally did. I moved the fridg forword and backward a couple of times to check for unseen leaks and I found nothing. However when the fridge sat for a while there was a couple of minor water spots by the front corners. I assune this is water still finding it's way out from the earlier flood.

Anyway, I am scared this will do this again. I'm guessing it leaked 4 to 5 gallons in about 8 hours. It is an Amana .21 inch refridg with the freezer on top bought in 2000. I have been reading some of the repair fourms and it sounds like it could be the inlet valve??? What would I need to be looking at that would have failed causing my flood?? I have all the model numbers available but I don't have them with me right now, but I can post them ASAP if needed. This icemaker has never shown any problems up to now.

Thank you,
Todd

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_nzo012_*

Lurker_nzo012_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:31 AM

In case it helps here is my Amana model # TX21VW and the tag said to use icemaker kit 1c6.

Thanks again,
Todd

#3 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:45 AM

Hello, my frightened friend. This watery nightmare you have experienced is most commonly caused by a fill tube that has become dislodged and is no longer directing the icemaker fill water into the back of the icemaker. I recommend you begin your investigation at the fill tube.

Allahu Akbar!

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:14 AM

I would also suspect a fill valve that was not closing properly and feeding water when it should not have.  We have seen this a bunch.  Yes, you will still have water seeping for awhile out of the frig.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:26 AM

Good points, Pegi and Moostafa.  :dude:

NZ, you can check the things both Moostafa and Pegi mentioned in one test by starting a harvest cycle on the icemaker and then watching the fill. 

#6 Lurker_NZO012_*

Lurker_NZO012_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hello,
You mentioned it could be the fill valve. Here is what has been going on lately. I shut off the water overnight ,after the flood. When I checked the freezer the next morning the ice cube catch tray was almost full or regular icemaker ice cubes. I have a RO filter system and the shut off is before the filter so, I assume the ice was made from water stored in the RO tank and filters. I turned the water back on for a few hours and everything seemed OK, it made ice as it did in the past. There was no excess water in the freezer. However I was too chicken to turn the water on and leave it on while I left for 16 hours. In your experience when the fill valve goes bad do they function intermittently then fail, then return to normal function. I'm trying to decide if I should replace the valve. If once they die, they die, then this one might not be bad, but if they work off and on then it may be waiting to stick again. It shows no signs of defect now. What are the symptoms of the valve going bad (beside a flood). I read on how to check for voltage. But, if the machine has been making ice lately wouldn't it be getting voltage?? Lastly, when I first opened the freezer, after I discovered the flood. I noticed that I could see the end of the fill tube slightly above the icemaker. I don't ever recall seeing that before. In my efforts to check the icemaker I pushed on things to make sure all was in place. Perhaps the fill tube was misaligned and I unknowly pushed it back in place, because it is in the right place now. All seems OK now but I still wonder about the valve you mention.

A HUGE THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO HELP OTHERS THROUGH THESE BOARDS !!!!!!!

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

There is no way your ref could have put 4-5 gallons of water into your frig within 8 hours because the fill  spout was mis-alligned.  The average ice maker harvests a tray of ice aprox every 2 hours.  This means your ice maker would have filled at the most 4 times in this 8 hours for about 8 seconds each of these 4 times.  This would be more like a cup of water, not 4-5 gallons.  Now you either have an ice maker that is giving voltage to the fill valve when it should not or you have a fill valve that stuck open.  This will not fix itself.   I would replace the water valve first.  If the problem happens again, you would have to believe the ice maker is malfunctioning. 

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:09 PM

Yep, bad fill valve.  Come git you one

#9 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:16 PM

If your fridge is hooked up through the RO system that could be your problem. the valve on your fridge relies on water pressure to remain closed. Reverse osmosis does not supply enough pressure to keep the valve closed.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#10 Lurker_nzo012_*

Lurker_nzo012_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the replys!!!! When I first started using the RO system and icemaker I was in an area that was on the fringe end of the city water supply. Pressure was low, and I mean low, if I turned on one sprinkler it was low, if I put on two it stopped both. Back then my ice came out hollow sometimes. Then a few years ago the city added a new pumping station and my pressure skyrocketed. I have used this setup for 5 years with poor and good pressure and there hasn't been a glitch up to this point. Notice I said up to this point!!

Right now everything looks good. No floods etc... but, it looked like that before it flooded.

I thought I had it figured out, I was thinking it was the fill tube. Then I read the post about the volume of water being too high for the time period. Near as I can figure it was unattended for a max of 13 hours. I was trying to remember how often it used to dump ice when it was working. Now, I never really timed it but it seemed like it would dump ice around the 20 or 30 minute mark. Then there was times it seemed like it sat there for a longer time without making ice before it would.

I'm just guessing but it looks like it takes at least a cup of water to make one harvest of ice. I've been wondering how long it would take to dump a cup of water on the floor and have it add up to 5 gallons.

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

At one harvest aprox. every 2 hours seems like it would take more than that 13 hours to add up to 5 gallons.

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:03 AM

The correct amount of water during the fill should be 148 CC's...  1 CC = .03 oz which comes to 4.35 ounces, little more than 1/2 cup.  So if your ice maker cycled 6 times in this 13 hours this should be 26.10 oz, and at say 7 harvest cycles would come to 30.24 ounces.  This is a long way from 4-5 gallons.

#13 Lurker_nzo012_*

Lurker_nzo012_*

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

It seems in a lot of fourms people fix their problem and you never from them after that. Not the case here. For everyone that is seeking aid for a flooded icemaker here is what happened.

My ice maker continued to work for several days without a single flaw. It made ice like it was brand new and I never did a thing but, watch it closely. After reading all the helpful posts and having to live with the prospect of another flood when I least expect it. I took the valve and icemaker to a local appliance repair store who offered to check both over night. I really think they blew it off until I called checking on it then they put me on hold for 15 min's and said they couldn't get it to malfunction. (do ou think they tested it right then?) Any way They claimed to find no flaws. So, I replaced the valve anyway. They opened it and said there was some slight sediment in it but not very much at all. One thing I did notice was that the ice seemed more clear than before, once the new valve was on.
So far all is working well.

Thanks to all for the help!!!

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:30 AM

You are welcome.  The only thing that fit was the valve being held open when it should have shut the water off, and sounds like you had enough inside the valve to do this.  Your washer and dishwasher can do this to you also.  We had a customer years ago their new W.P. washer turned his sunken living room into a swimming pool because of a defective fill valve from the factory.  This gets people to turn the water off to the home when going to be gone for few days. But sort of hard to do that when going to work or to the store.....sigh....they can all do major damage in so short of a time.  You might consider installing a filter to the frig., to keep this stuff from getting into the valve??   Appreciate the update.  Pegi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics