Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 665.13969K017 : Upper Dishrack wheels don't stay on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hi all, now the upper dishrack is giving me issues.  Joy.  One of the "Wheel, Upper Dishrack" won't stay on.  I pulled one from the other side to see how they worked; now 2 of 4 won't stay on.  I don't think buying just the wheels

Part number: ap3039208

Part number: ap3039208

will do the trick; I think it's more of the axle-stud thingy that they press on to, which is part of the whole side-adjuster assembly thing which I can't seem to locate.  I wonder if that has to come with the entire upper rack assembly (which is out-of-stock so I can see no picture :( ).  Any 'field fixes' for these wheels that won't stay on the axle?

Thanks!  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

No quick fix that I know of, although it's a common issue.  Best to order and install the adjuster kit Part number: W10712394

Part number: W10712394

which consists of both right and left side adjuster assemblies.  Just enter the part number in the Appliantology Parts Finder field below to check price and availability.

#3 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thanks, ordered!  For some reason that didn't look like my assembly when I went through the parts (the DW was in the middle of a cycle so I couldn't check) but I'll leverage the no-questions return option if it's not (which, given your advice, will imagine not be necessary!)

Thanks again.  

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

Thanks again.  

For some reason that didn't look like my assembly

The rack adjusters have been improved, using metal instead of plastic, so the wheels don't keep falling off. The kit comes with instructions.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect nor represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

Actually this kit is an older design that they went back to!!

I just went thru this on a KitchenAid manufactured July 2012, you can find just the L.H. or R.H. plastic plates that have the axle shafts molded into them and that is what wears out and breaks.  This complete L.H./R.H. kit is just a little more in price than just an individual side plate.  The individual side plastic side plates can still be found but do come up as no longer available or sub to the above complete kit.

Then just 2 weeks later worked on a Whirlpool dishwasher of the same sytling that was manufactured Feb. 2006 and it has as original parts all what you get in the complete Part number: W10712394

Part number: W10712394

kit.

Once you replace your original parts with the parts in the kit you can get individual parts to replace any parts that you need, such as individual rack roller axles or the wheels by using this Whirlpool model number to look up the individual upper rack adjuster/roller parts, (Whirlpool Mod# GU2500XTPS7).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 buckyswider

buckyswider

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

Done and Done!  Thanks a bunch PDuff, Chat, and Willie!   I love this place!  Also great peace of mind knowing that this is a "new" (ha!) and improved part!  

First one took about 30 minutes.  Second one about 3.  :)  For the benefit of anyone else who happens upon this thread and is going to try to tackle this without the requisite experience (like me!), here's some tips:  

1- you won't be using ANYTHING on that side of the rack.  The "Adjuster" is everything from the wheels all the way up to the plastic handle on the top.  On the first side, I gingerly pried ever clip lose so as not to break anything.  One side two, I just let loose and snapped everything into oblivion to remove it in 30 seconds (make sure you don't damage the rack itself though!)

2- the instructions are OK, but unlike Ikea, they don't give you a parts ID chart.  They just assume you know that everything is.  So, based on that picture above, here is what everything is:

A- Top Left:  Adjuster Arms

B- Bottom Left:  Positioner Clips

C- Middle:  Adjust Body

D- Top Right:  Adjuster Covers

E- Bottom Right:  Adjuster Actuators

Everything EXCEPT the Adjuster Actuators are symmetrical, meaning you can use either part on the left or right sides.  More on that later in step 9.

Some instruction sheet addenum:

Steps 5,6,7:  The pictures are a little dark on my sheet, so it was hard to tell the orientation of the positioners.  The correct orientation is with the slot facing DOWN, and the bottom clips (that go around the rack tines) face the OUTSIDE (i.e. away from the dishes, and of course the top clips will face the inside.

Step 8:  The vertical part of the adjuster arm actually slides up into the adjuster body about halfway (good for now) and is the action used when adjusting the rack height.  So at this point the body and arm are actually 'connected'.

Step 9:  The picture of the actuator shows the 'thumb pad' facing the inside (dish side) of the rack.  If yours faces the outside, well then you've got the wrong one.  Grab the other one and it should look like the picture.

Step 11:  Don't force it clipped shut!  I did that on my 2nd side and a little plastic tab from somewhere broke off.  I think it's just the tab to keep it temporarily shut, which the screws do eventually, so it doesn't seem to be affecting operations.  Still, I'd rather not have broken it off!

Step 12:  The screws are torx.  If you don't have a torx set or bits, get one before you start!

That's it.  Easy Peasy.  The wife is happy again, and I'm happy that this cost my only 40 bucks. 

Thanks again everybody.  I love this place!!  

#7 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the write up! Done this adjuster kit twice and each time had to relearn due to poor quality photos!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics