Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Frigidaire Mod FRA182MT2 Themostat engagement issue

pjw73nh

I have a two year old Frigidaire 220V window AC unit.  The Tstat  operation is getting progressively worse. 

Since I purchased it, it has never engaged the compressor earlier than about "4:00 or 4:30" on the knob position.  End of travel is around "5:00"

I have found that in order to get the compressor to turn on, I have to put the Tstat knob almost all the way clockwise to the stop.  Naturally, the cooler the ambient temp, the further I have to turn it to get it to switch the compressor on.  I am pretty sure it's getting worse as time goes on.

Last night it was to the point where I had to use a hair dryer for 20-30 seconds on the Tstat capillary sensor/bulb to get the compressor to turn on. Once it was on, it stayed on long enough to cool the room down.

I am in the 2-5 year warranty period, but I think that only covers the sealed parts of the system.  I don't think it covers the tstat.

Is there any kind of adjustment on the Tstat, or can I reposition the sensor bulb/tube to get better performance?

Or is my only recourse to get a new tstat and "hope" it fixes the issue? 

Thanks...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• applianceman18007260692

• pjw73nh

• BryanS

• leamy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say maybe there is something wrong the switch, but I have no idea. I don't even see a thermostat just sensors. One appears to be a defrost sensor. That's going off of your model with a 0 at the end. Could be wrong schematic

I would replace the sensor before thermostat. Unplug the sensor from the board and clean the contacts. Might just be corrosion.

Tnx for the quick replies.  This is what I found under the "parts" listing:

Part number: 5304476897

Part number: 5304476897

I have not had the unit apart yet.  it appears to be in the temp control itself as once I heat the tube up with the hair dryer, I can "feel" the detent/click in the knob itself when it "makes".

Brian, can you point me to the schematic?  Tnx.

I tried looking up a manual for it based on the model number, but it comes up with a model that has a digital display and panel.  My unit has no display and two mechanical knobs. One for temp and one for fan/cool -LO-Med-High.

It was on searspartsdirect.com under the parts breakdown. I looked under your model that ended in 0.

replacing the tstat would be the next step here.

the tstat bellows internally is sticking. so it take s longer for the pressure change

within the stat to bump the contacts close.

there is a setting screw on the front of the tstat but since there is a mechanical problem

with it your just going to end with a uncalibrated thermastat

try looking up the part using the number off of the casing you may find it cheaper that way.

If it has a sensor it be an electronic beast I am thinking. They stopped putting mercury bulb parts on ac's long ago.