Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore fridge model 596.73502201

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Today, 02:50 PM

had lightning strike close to my house and it blew out some things.  My fridge compressor works fine but the fans to circulate the cold air are not working.  lights work in both areas (fridge and freezer).  What would be my best rout of repair or trouble shooting?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted Today, 02:57 PM

Seeing as how this model doesn't have any control boards my bet would be a bad fan motor. If you can check voltage, then I would look 120v to the motor to be sure though. You only have one fan that circulates air. There is a damper that allows air into the fresh food section. Make sure you coil isn't frosted up in the freezer first. Typically you can hear the fan running with a defrost problem, but not feel air.

#3 Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Today, 04:25 PM

Do you know how to get to the fan?  I found the evaporator fan and it's not blowing either.  There is one circuit board in the fridge by the lights and was wondering if that worked the fan control?  If I can find the fan I will test it though and thanks for the help....

#4 Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Today, 04:45 PM

found the fan and will be testing it soon.

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted Today, 05:12 PM

It should get it's power through the defrost timer and thermostat. If the compressor is powered then the fan should be powered. Sometimes the motors can lock up electrically. Try to spin the blade by hand and if it's tight plus vibrating, then you know you have power. Bad motor in that case.

#6 Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Today, 07:20 PM

The fan has 110v coming to it so it's burnt out and I will replace it.  The fan in the back, I think it's the condensation fan, only has 11v going to it.  Do you know if that is the right voltage?

#7 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted Today, 08:05 PM

Is the one in the back spinning? I doubt 11v is correct.

#8 Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Today, 08:35 PM

no it's not.  I thought it might be low voltage.  been trying to get spec's on it to see.  any suggestions on testing anything?

#9 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted Today, 08:43 PM

You sure you had good contact on the motor? I mean 11 volts can't be right. Should be 110v or so I imagine. I don't really have a schematic but since you don't have a main control board from what I've seen. it cant be dc voltage

#10 Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Today, 08:48 PM

I will try to test it again and see what happens.  Sure do appreciate your help...

#11 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted Today, 09:01 PM

It is possible your condenser fan could be bad because it looks like one of the ac/dc motors. Takes 120v and turns into dc. Lightning strikes can tear stuff up as well as power surges. Those motors actually have a circuit board inside.

Edited by BryanS, Today, 09:02 PM.

#12 Ben Hur

Ben Hur

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Today, 09:46 PM

retested the power to the lower fan and it is 110v (actual reading of 120v) so the power is good must be a bad fan also.  You think I need to test anything else?  compressor is still running good and the coils are getting cold when I have it plugged in.

#13 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted Today, 09:51 PM

Not that I can think of. Damper is thermostat controled and you just have a defrost timer. Those don't typically go bad from power surges etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics