Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung ice maker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tharo

tharo

Unsui

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:50 PM

I'm working on a Samsung refrigerator (RSG307AA) that is not making ice.

Ice maker sensor checked at about 4 volts (-12 deg F) this matched the display temp and infrared thermometer reading. So thermistor seems fine.

The Ice maker will start to harvest after bypassing fz door light switch with magnet, pressing i/m button for 10 sec and waiting for about 5 min. till it finally decides to harvest.

When the i/m did stop trying to harvest there no water and did not hear the valve activate. the i/m maker must have spun around 5 times before finally stopping. But again no water.

I jumpered neutral to the i/m water valve at the main board and it fed water to the Ice maker. So water valve does work and the water line is not frozen.

I have replaced both the i/m and the main board and it still does the same thing, the ice maker will harvest but will not activate the water valve at the end of the cycle.

Also the customer said it stopped making ice after changing water filter at first, but then after customer said it may not have been making ice before changing filter so not sure...

I'm at my wits end with this thing and at this point my only recourse seems to re-diagnose, maybe I got a defective board or ice maker.

But I guess my question is how does the i/m system signal the board to put N to the water valve? is it all started by a timer on the board that checks the i/m thermistor, and Ice bucket level then runs a  program cycle that includes activation of the water valve or is there an actual signal sent by the ice maker to call for water?

Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Aaron

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 31,150 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted Today, 08:17 AM

Ice maker sensor checked at about 4 volts (-12 deg F) this matched the display temp and infrared thermometer reading. So thermistor seems fine.

Were you checking the thermistor on the icemaker it's self or the ice room? If you haven't checked the ice room for thermistor, you should check that one also.

And another thing: why is it so damn cold in there?

#3 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,798 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted Today, 10:05 AM

Were you checking the thermistor on the icemaker it's self or the ice room? If you haven't checked the ice room for thermistor, you should check that one also.

When the ice bucket is empty the freezer temp automatically drops to -14 to help the ice room get to temp. I'm assuming since it has not made ice for an extended period of time (days) that the freezer is constantly running at -14. That would explain the -12 in the ice room.

Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 tharo

tharo

Unsui

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Today, 10:09 AM

This is a side by side with i/m on fz door, so this is not the french door type with the ice room in the ff section.

But I am going back to re-diagnose it and will be checking all fz thermistors.

From what I read until the ice bucket is satisfied (and ice is turned on) the refrigerator will bring the temp down to about -14 deg F. Once the ice bucket is full it will resume the actual set fz temp.

example: If customer does not have water hooked up to the refrigerator and the ice is set to on, it can cause problems with the fz being too cold, ice build up and inefficient because the ice bucket is never satisfied so its always trying to be -14 deg F to make ice.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 31,150 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

When the ice bucket is empty the freezer temp automatically drops to -14 to help the ice room get to temp. I'm assuming since it has not made ice for an extended period of time (days) that the freezer is constantly running at -14. That would explain the -12 in the ice room.

Dayyam, I knew that... Once upon a time. Must've blown away those brain cells many beers ago. Domo for the reminder, mah bruvah!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics