Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

maytag side by side refrigerator mzd2766gew does not cool

MZD2766GEW Freezer is like fridge fridge is warm

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 motoxmuseum

motoxmuseum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:33 PM

The freezer side is cool enough to be the fridge but will not freeze ice. The Fridge side is warm. The evaporator fan is running and there is no compressor fan that I can see. The compressor is warm to the touch. The ADC was changed a while back (again) and the unit ran fine. The compressor starter capacitor was also changed by someone else. (Why is not known) The unit will intermittently start working correctly. Some times after moving the temperature controls. What should I check.

Thanks

Paul

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lite & Landshark

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:31 PM

There should be a condenser fan running. Also do you have a full pattern on evaporator coil? Is it frosted up badly?

#3 motoxmuseum

motoxmuseum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

The design of the unit looks like the airflow out of the evaporator fan also goes across the compressor. There is no dedicated compressor fan. The evaporator is not frosted up at all. 

Thanks

Paul

#4 vee8power

vee8power

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

The evaporator and evaporator fan are behind the rear wall of the freezer. The condenser and its fan are outside the unit in the back, right next to the compressor. We need to get a look at the evaporator;

Maytag asked what the frost looks like there.

#5 evaappliance

evaappliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:02 AM

I used to sell those , they for sure have a condenser fan.  the adaptive defrost control is the most common deal on these. 

#6 vee8power

vee8power

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

If you have a defrost problem, then it might be the ADC. Check out the "warm refrigerator troubleshooting flowchart" at the top of the kitchen forum and it will narrow down the problem. Let us know what you find.

#7 motoxmuseum

motoxmuseum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

I have changed the ADC and it fixed the unit for a short time. However just moving the temperature controls has fixed the unit so I have my doubts the ADC is dead after a couple of weeks. I can always pull and test the relays. This has been a intermittent issue for 6 months but  now seems to be always like this. I assume the evaporator is at the back of the freezer behind a panel. Any suggestion on getting in to check it other than looking at the parts blow up image. So yes the condenser coils look clean, the compressor fan is running. 

Thanks

Paul

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 AM

Next time you find it off and the temps are too warm, give the temp control area a good smack and see if the fans come on and it starts cooling again.  If it does you have a bad cold-control/t-stat, when the points start getting burned up they can't carry a current thru them when it does a normal cycle - hitting the control or turning it off and back on will snap the points together to make good enough contact to start working again.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 motoxmuseum

motoxmuseum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:37 AM

How do you check if the compressor is running. You can hear the evaporator fan inside the fridge and visually check the compressor fan. Both seem to be running constantly however I am not convinced the compressor is running properly. I have a full set of electrical test equipment in my home office so I can measure everything from current/voltage to power consumption at the wall. 

#10 vee8power

vee8power

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:29 PM

Put an amp clamp around one of the wires leading to the compressor and look for around an amp and a half; sounds like it's running though if it's warm. What would really tell the story is the frost. Take the lower panel off the rear wall of the freezer and look at the frost.

#11 evaappliance

evaappliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:23 PM

Also, Something I run up on is if it has a white relay and overload on the compressor , unplug the refrigerator ,unplug the relay , shake it and if it sounds like a baby rattle replace it. That can cause a intermittent starting condition.

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,913 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted Yesterday, 07:06 PM

simply touch the compressor. If it is warm AND vibrating , then it is running....Very Hot or not vibrating could suggest compressor problem.....but replacing your cold control thermostat as well as looking at your frost pattern as earlier advised is what I would suggest you do as well.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, Yesterday, 07:08 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#13 motoxmuseum

motoxmuseum

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Today, 06:45 AM

The evaporator coil is all frozen up with frost. I just changed the ADC (Third time on this fridge over it's life) but this board lasted less than 60 days. Any ideas why the ADC board is dying so fast? 

#14 evaappliance

evaappliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted Today, 11:57 AM

nothing shocks me anymore with whirlpool/maytag electronics, most likely a bad part , but if you want to be on the safe side ,go ahead and put a new defrost thermostat in . they can work intermittently and throw you off too .  very easy to miss !

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,913 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted Today, 01:41 PM

Agreed,  the board may not have been the problem.... have you attempted diagnostics to see if the defrost circuit is closed? 

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics