Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

GE Dryer stops when releasing ON button

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Robin_*

Lurker_Robin_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:44 AM

Our GE gas dryer stops running after we release the ON switch.  The blower blows, but the drum does not turn while the ON button is pressed, but the instant we let go, it all turns off.  We thought maybe it was the belt, tried to get into it, but are having trouble just figuring out all the access points.  We're starting to think it's not the belt, since it turns off right away.

Thanks,

Robin

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_Robin_*

Lurker_Robin_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

The model #DPSR513GA0WW, forgot that.

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:22 AM

I would suspect you have a bad motor if you had not mentioned the blower blows while you hold the start button in.  The start button gives power to the start switch on the motor.  If it does not start and run, the blower cannot turn either since it is attached to the motor shaft.  And of course the drum will not turn since the motor also drives the belt to turn the drum.  Either you have a bad motor or something is binding, keeping it from starting like something in the blower housing that is against the blower wheel.  Or your drum has glued itself to the drum support /glide assy due to overheating and causing the glue to melt that holds the support assy together.  See if you can rotate the drum counter clockwise with the door open and the dryer off.  It will have some resistance.  If you can turn the drum sounds like nothing has it bound down and the motor start windings have gone bad. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 Robin

Robin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:56 AM

We got the dryer apart with the help of the pictures and found a broken belt.  We're going to replace it and see where we are at.  Thanks!

--Robin

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

Hummm, if the belt was broken the motor would have been dead, would not have even tried to start since the dryer has a broken belt switch that would have cut all voltage to the motor.  Let us know how this turns out..............

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#6 Robin

Robin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:15 AM

Really?  We thought maybe there was a "barrel is not spinning" switch which is why it turned off.  How would it detect if the belt is there? 

We're awaiting the part, and borrowing our neighbor's dryer in the meantime.

--Robin

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:35 AM

The drum belt is routed around the idler assy and the motor pulley.  The idler assy is the belt tension system to keep the belt tight around the drum.  When the belt breaks the arm that holds the idler pulley falls back onto the broken belt switch which cuts the voltage to the motor.  This would have made the dryer dead when the start switch was activated.  Unless the broken belt switch had gone bad and did not activate.  We will see what happens when the belt is installed.  The belt could have wrapped itself around the idler assy putting a bind on the drum which could have caused the motor to not be able to start but not letting the idler arm fall back onto the switch.  This is a new safety because when the belt breaks inside of a dryer, the motor used to keep running, and with the motor running the heat would stay on with no air flow since the drum is not turning, causing dryers to catch on fire sometimes.

#8 Robin

Robin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:08 AM

After taking a look at how the switch works, and how the belt is routed, I think the belt got a little tangled, not allowing arm to fall back onto the belt broken switch (thus allowing it to try and start.  Time will tell - our new part comes today, and we'll have to get this thing back together.

--Robin

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:46 AM

Cool, thanks for the reply, let us know the results.....Pegi

#10 Robin

Robin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:04 AM

Well, I do have another question before we try putting this all back together.  I understand how the dryer is routed, but I don't understand the following instructions:

"To restring the belt on this sorry excuse for a dryer, remove the phillips screw inside the rear exit opening of the blower duct and remove the duct. Then restring the belt from the front. "

Why do we need to remove the duct? 

With our next appliance, I'm going to consult these pages to find out what's easiest to fix!

Thanks,

--Robin

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:36 AM

I am not sure why this is stated. I know the top must come up and the front removed and the belt routed around the drum, the idler pulley and the motor pulley, which will probably require stitches when you are thru, fighting the sharp metal in the confined space.  Guess there is a reason for the vent removal but I do not know what it is.  Sorry, Pegi

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:24 AM

The removal of the vent is to give you some working room. There is no rear access panel on some of these newer G.E. dryers.

If you have an access panel on the back then use it, otherwise you will have to string the belt by feel, (kind of blind like), working from the front with the vent tube out you will be able to reach through front and see what your doing.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,366 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:38 AM

[user=746]Robin[/user] wrote:

Well, I do have another question before we try putting this all back together.  I understand how the dryer is routed, but I don't understand the following instructions:

"To restring the belt on this sorry excuse for a dryer, remove the phillips screw inside the rear exit opening of the blower duct and remove the duct. Then restring the belt from the front. "

Why do we need to remove the duct? 

You took the quote out of context.  Read the entire paragraph from which it was taken and the reason for removing the vent, on some variations of this dryer, is perfectly clear:

Variation 1 has a rear access panel through which you can restring the belt. Variation 2, however, does not have this rear access panel. (Thank you, GE Posted Image ) To restring the belt on this sorry excuse for a dryer, remove the phillips screw inside the rear exit opening of the blower duct and remove the duct. Then restring the belt from the front.

#14 Robin

Robin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

Well, it became obvious when we had to go in from the back to get the belt strung.  Somehow we missed the little trick of getting it over the pulley - there was a hook my husband accidentally found that held the pulley in place until he could get the belt around it.  So, the belt is on and we're putting it back together. 

There's  a funny sound, and I think it's coming from the front.  I recall a little tab on the front panel that looked loose, or not secured or something.  I'm guessing that's it - so we need to disassemble a little and fix it.  I'm hoping that's it, because if it's not, I have no idea what the sound is.

So stringing other brands is easier?  That was a pain.

--Robin

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:11 AM

Always buy a Whirlpool/Roper/Estate/KitchenAid/Kenmore with a prefix of 110. with the lint filter on top, not down when you open the door. The G.E dryers are a nightmare for all repairs compared to the Whirlpool lines..

#16 Lurker_meadowsweet3@yahoo.com_*

Lurker_meadowsweet3@yahoo.com_*

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

Could you help me out? My Amana washer model # LDW37AW, has a bad pulley on the motor shaft. I've managed to get the pulley off but I don't know where I can buy one to replace it. The appliance and parts store only will sell me the motor with the pulley attached to the shaft, there is nothing wrong with the motor, the pulley is shot! I'm not even sure how I measure it, any input on my dilema?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics