Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

How do I get certified to work on Kitchenaid stand mixers?

nolazach

I am literally the only person right now in the New Orleans area that works on these.  I'm having a hard time getting my name out.  I have three competitors that know I fix these refer them to me.  My goal is to have a guy who is full time Mixer repair.  I know being the only guy in a metro area of nearly a million people I should be able to get a ton of these to repair.   One baker had seven that needed repair.

I'm self taught on them, but they are really easy to work on, parts are cheap and I enjoy keeping such a well built machine going.   I do not want to become a Whirlpool factory servicer at this time, and I know that the Whirlpool guys don't touch them.   Just seems like there is a huge untapped market. 

• Like 1

Where does one self teach on these excellent machines.  I have had mine for over ten years with out a hitch.

I bought one broken and then took it apart after watching youtube videos.  Then I talked to a baker down the street and she had almost every variety so I took hers apart too.  The Commercial ones are the easiest of them all, the motor and the gears are all one unit, so any issue at all you just replace the entire assembly.

The ones with the two black circles on the side are the hardest to work on, (unless they just need new motor brushes) only because you have to hammer out a pin to take them apart. 

Youtube has tons of videos.  So few people fix these and they are very common and the worm gears and the pinions do wear down. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sounds like you are pretty well certified to me.  Most people arent ever going to ask to see your certifications as long as you present yourself professionally, act like a professional, stand by your work and honor your warranty like a professional, price your work like a professional and not like some guy who does it for a hobby, dont give your time away and dont do the work if its not making you money.  You can have a repair hobby after you retire if you just want something to do to stay busy.

Here in Seattle there are several big restaurant servicing companies that make that market a really tough nut to crack for a one man part time operation like me,  so do your best and never let them know you arent "certified"

Always strive to do better tomorrow while doing your best today and it will all work out.