Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Diplomat Furnace by Lennox (natural gas) not able to initialize

lbrowne

Hello, I have a furance that is acting up. when the thermostat reaches belwo the set temp the furnace tries to start. It has 5 burners/jets or whatever you call them. It tries to light a set amount of times, I think 4 times, and then gives up.

The flames start on the jets, they run for approx 10-30 seconds, then shut off. The furnace tries this sequence about 3-4 time and then shuts down and won't try again unless I jostle with the thermostat. Not good when you wake up cold and theres 2 young kids in the house.

When it does catch it promptly heats the house to the desired temp and shuts down again like it should.... what can i check?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find a model number anywhere on the outside - I believe its called a forced air unit? Maybe I have to take off a panel to get the model number.

next to the ignitor is a sensing element you may want to try and shine that up with some emory cloth

if you look into the ends of the burners,you will see the pilot/orifice ass'y attached near the other end of one of the burners, when the unit fires up,a spark ignitor will energize and light a pilot light(turn your t'stat up and watch this) once the pilot flame has been established- the burners will ignite,when that happens,the pilot flame is sucked up into the burner flame,and if there is a carbon buildup on the pilot sensing bulb,or a poor ground,the valve will be fooled into thinking the pilot has gone out and thus shut down the burner- to cure this,it will be necessary to remove the pilot ass'y,and clean it up,or replace it,and at the same time,ensure that all the ground wires etc. are attached to good clean,corrosion free parts of the metal chasis.

Ok, so is this something for a do-it-yourselfer?

Hate to sound dumb, but could edit a pic circling what i have to let or what has to come out first etc?

thanks for your help so far!

the picture that you posted of your unit are from the outside of the unit and the ignitor/pilot ass'y is not evident- it is located inside the burners- since this is a fairly sophisticated device,you may not want to chance servicing it yourself as it does require a bit of mechanical/eletrical aptitude and understanding. if you feel uncomfortable with it- call in a gun as you don't want to mess with gas/heatsource and endanger yourself or your family.

Archived