Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirpool top loader problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 supervirgil

supervirgil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hello all i am new to this forum, so if i violate netiquite here let me know.

I have a whirlpool5 cycle top loading washer. The model number is LSR5132HQ1

When i start a load of laundry, the washer Fills and agitates normally. After draining, the washer fills and then does nothing. I turned the washer off at this point. I came back after a half hour, and turned the machine back on. I heard a humming like the motor was tying to turn. I pushed forward on the agitator, and the washer began agitating. It then drained as normal, and began the spin cycle. As the washer was spinning there is a high speed knock. I figured that I need to pull the cabinent, but what do I need to be looking at?

Thank you for all your help

Virgil

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:31 PM

See if this sound is coming from the transmission...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 supervirgil

supervirgil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:25 AM

ok i pulled the cabinent. the tranny seems not to be making the noise, i think the machine was not perfectly level. But what would cause the machine to be stuck?? the clutch is spinning..Like i said before, the motor was humming and when i pushed forward on the agitatior the maching began agitating. Is the drive coupler maybe starting to go, or should i just put it back together and wait for it to definitivly break??/

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:29 AM

Pull the pump and motor off and get some eyeballs on all three pieces of the drive coupler. This page will help:

http://fixitnow.com/...acing-drive.htm

If the coupler is worn, broken, or wallowed out, I have seen them bind the motor so that it can't turn, making it hum and kick out.

#5 supervirgil

supervirgil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:06 AM

ok pulled the coupler out and it looks ok. There are no  broken tabs and the center section looks ok. A guy at the appliance repair shop suggested capasitor perhaps. The motor turns freeley, but squeeks a bit when turned by hand. The washer also had no front feet on it. I am going to get a set right now, but should i replace the coupler while i am here??? I can also provide pictures of the cupler oh enlightened one.

chris

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:32 AM

No, if the coupler isn't wallowed out or broken, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Test the capacitor:

Posted Image

If it's good, then you check each wire in the motor wire harness for integrity. If that's good, then replace the motor.

#7 supervirgil

supervirgil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

new problem

#8 supervirgil

supervirgil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

Okay still have the same washer and it will not pump out water, agitate or spin. Pulled the cab off, and removed the pump to make sure it was not jammed and motor would not spin. drive coupler is okay. took motor off of the transmission, and the motor would run in both in agitate and spin mode. I then removed the transmission and installed it onto the motor outside of the machine, and it works in spin and agitate mode. The motor was locked up and would not spin when inside the machine, just hum. this leads me to believe that the tranny and motor are fine. What do i check next?????

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

Check for something stuck in the pump.

If it wouldn't run when all together then runs with pump off and hooked up to transmission, it pretty much has to be something jamming the pump.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 supervirgil

supervirgil

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:58 AM

i checked the pump, and it will not run with the pump removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics