Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Old Thermador Wall Heater

Liebold69

I cannot find a specific type of heating element for my very old Thermador wall mounted heater.  Not sure of the year it was made in but I was told by my local applicane parts guy that the model is no longer being produced.  I need help finding a place that my carry this old heater of a spare heating element for it.

THANK YOU.

Ian Liebold

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can ye post a picture of this element and do ye know the wattage and what volt 208?220?

No picture posting ability but, I can say that the element consists of four parallel coils (springs) connected in series in a box formation with a screws at the end of two of the springs for terminals.

Volts=240

Watts=3000

Maybe I can somehow muster a picture if someone thinks they might be on the right track and need more into....I'll try

Thanks!

Ian

PS sorry for all the grammatical mistakes in the first posting

how many turns per inch? and what is the distance between each turn?

let's see, turns per inch is about 11 and the space between the turns is about 1/16 of an inch.  I tried to figure out the diameter of the wire but my rule doesn't go that small.  I would have to guess about 1/32 of an inch.

Am I getting warmer??

Thanks,

Ian

the total lenth of this heater coil is only 6 inches?

Yes, total length (of each coil) is six inches.  If you include the additional length gained by the wire connecting the foir coils together, the length of each coil is 6.5 inches.

I'm hoping to be able to find a replacement.  The wall mounted space heater that I have, the 302-A made way back when (I'm not at all knowledgable of heaters), is no longer made.  I have been told that wall heaters in general are not made and so therefore, the parts are obsolete and dealers no longer carry them, making my situation very much difficult.

I have seen a few international websites who manufacture heating elements.  Would they accept business from me for a wall mounted space heater.  If I gave them the specs, would they, or someone, possiblly make the element?  I have no way of knowing what this element is made of.  WOuld it matter so long as it fit and could handle the appropriate voltage and wattage?

PS  I'm trying to get a picture of this element.

Ian

There is universal heater coil wire. You must purchase it based on wattage and voltage of orignal application and size.

You keep saying your coils are only 6 to 6.5 inches long, I don't believe that is correct.

You say something to the extent that the extra 1/2" is connecting the four coils together, most likely all of the four 6" lengths of heater coil are infact all one piece wrapped around a ceramic holder of some type.

Unless each of those four individual coils are connected to some type of buss bar to feed power to each one, which would NOT be normal.

So to get what you need, you need to know these things:

1) Wattage of heater

2) Voltage of heater (most likely 220volt)

3) coil diameter, (not wire dia.)

4) total length of stretched coil, (I believe most of the heater coils come unstretched and you have to stretch them to the needed installed length.)

I have box of 10 heating coils that I have picked up somewhere, don't know what there wattage or voltage is rated for. If these seem like they might work for you I could send you couple for the cost of shipping if you would like.

Here's the stuff I do know about them:

1) 23" unstretched length

2) 7/16" coil diameter.

3) 15.5 ohms resistance

This is what I calculated the wattage to be

4) at 110volts=780 watts, at 220volts=3122 watts

Take a look at the supplied attachment for other universal heating coil wires -- The numbers come up at RepairClinc but they don't have any of them in stock. The only thing is they don't give the suitable min. and max. stretched lengths or for that matter the unstretched length.

Heating coil wire is made from a special hi-temp/hi-strength wire: Nichrome

post-36-129045090154_thumb.jpg

This heater coil is evidently unique.  The coil is arranged in four 6 inch lengths.  They are not individiual.  Current is supplied by a contact at one end of the coil ( a screw) and ran up 6 inches where it jogs over slightly and then down another 6 inch length.  A slight jog takes the current over to the third coil and then up, over and down the last coil and out or grounded or whatever by another by another screw I think but I'm not sure. 

It seeems as thought I may have to assemble this thing myself.  In which case I  'll have more questions.  But, I have to run.  I'll post again soon.

ian

willie a dh 500 wide coil is what i was gong to suggest but thats 5000 watts and he is saying he has a rather bastardized 300 watt element that attaches at four diff connections i am so confused LOL!

Ok, it looks like what he would need would be the DH507 which is 3000 watts at 240volts, these coil kits come with the 10-32x1 3/4" screw welded to each end of the coil and comes with the new ceramic insulators

Somehow I missed the post where Ian told us the wattage/voltage.

I'm still not sure you know exactly what your looking at Ian, have you actually removed the heating element which contains the coils from the wall heater?

A picture would sure help us head in the right direction.

Does the heater coil wire run through round ceramic holders as it threads back and forth over a heater plate?

Is the coil diameter at least 3/8"?

• 2 weeks later...

Why, yes there are four ceramic insulators that the wire is pinned to as it threads back and forth.  The heater coil is removed from the heater.  I had to unscrew the tow screws that supply and carry away the electric current and remove the pins that tack down the wire to the insulators,  ALmost have the set up for a picture post.  Thanks for all the help so far!!

Ian

go to repairclinic.com and order that DH507 they have one available

• 3 weeks later...

just take that peice that broke off and throw it away. then take what you have left and put it all back. strtch that short section to where it needs to be. wrap around screw and  tighten.

at least that is what i did with my dryer element. worked for another year or so then i had to replace the element. never intended on keeping that way, just needed to finish my clothes. then the thing kept woking. finally it busted and blasted the thermal limit. at that point i replaced the whole thing.

lol

That what I originally thought I could do but the heater is not mine.  It belongs to my landlord.  So I think a full replacement would be the best idea.  So, should I still consider the replacement kit?

Ian

well at least its warm weather now maybe if you ask your landlord to fix it it will be ready by next fall

• 4 weeks later...

I recently posted about a heating coil that I had shorted and thus broke.  I asked about ways to replace the coil and ended up stretching out the remaining half of the coil to the contact and re-installing in into the heater (a very old wall mounted Thermador approx 2.5X1.5)  Anyway everything went back together okay and the wires and contacts seem to soild and I remembered to flip the breaker back on after maintenance, but the heater will not work.  No humming or buzzing to indicate that the heater is getting power.  Absolutely nothing when I turn the dial to the low position.  Did I break somthing else besides the coil element when it shorted and broke? What could be the problem?  Where should I start?

Thanks!

Ian Liebold -- never knew this site would be of so much help.  I'm only 29 and learning the hard way about taking care of the apartment on my own. 

Archived