Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

1998 Frigidaire Gallery FrontLoad Washer Model # fwt445ges2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 boatperson

boatperson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:48 AM

This device suddenly started started shaking violently during the fast spin cycle, so I called Action Appliance Service.  The diagnosis was that one or more of the shaft support spider arms had broken away from the stainless steel inner tub, i.e., that the welds at the end of the arms had let go. 

They estimated that the fix-it cost would be between $400 and $500, but that I could likely fix it (for virtually zip) by taking it apart myself and just drilling a few holes and refasten the ends of the broken arms with self-tapping stainless steel screws.  They were partially correct, as these two images try to show...

http://home.comcast....4111551_jpg.jpg

... so, in other words, there are no "welds" in my case, rather, the ends of the shaft spider arms bolt to the rim of the stainless steel tub; and, the breakage occurred within three inches, or so, out from the shaft (not at the ends of the arms).

My problem now is that I can not seem to find the part I need -- and the only solution appears to be buying the entire stainless steel inner tub with the shaft/spider arms welded onto it as a single unit, or "part"... so my question is "Does anyone here know where I can buy JUST the bolt-on shaft and spider arm that I need" ???

Thanks for your time.

Richard

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

This is the only part I find for your washer:

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=407854

Cool pics! :dude:

#3 boatperson

boatperson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:13 AM

Yup -- that's it -- the one with the bolted on spider arms. 

Since the shaft/arms part does not seem to be available by itself, I'm thinking of having it welded back together -- do you think that's a smart move ?

I cleaned the tub up a bit and took the spider arms over to my neighbors garage and cleaned them up with his bench grinder (used the wire brush wheel, not the stone wheel).  After being cleaned the three pieces seemed to fit back together just fine.

After I bolt the three arms back onto the tub rim, I think the guy who makes the weld could temporarily shim the center to true the shaft, then weld the outside cracks, then unbolt the three arms and tac weld the underneath part.

Here's a collage of what things look like cleaned up in the daylight (about 4MB)... note the bottom-most close-up of the broken ends -- they look ugly, but they do fit back together nicely...

http://home.comcast....nedDaylight.png

One final question -- do you think I should get a copy of the shop manual for this washer and see if they list a part number for just the shaft/arms assembly ?  I saw it somewhere for $20 or so.

Anyway, "mega Mt Fuji dittos" from someone who climbed about 90% of Mt Fuji around 40 years ago -- remember:

"He who climbs Mt Fuji once is a hero; He who climbs Mt Fuji twice is a fool"

Attached Files

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:21 AM

[user=7466]boatperson[/user] wrote:
[quoteSince the shaft/arms part does not seem to be available by itself, I'm thinking of having it welded back together -- do you think that's a smart move ?[/quote]

What've you got to lose? If it doesn't work, then you're back to buying the replacement part, nothing lost but a little time.

[quote]Here's a collage of what things look like cleaned up in the daylight (about 4MB)... note the bottom-most close-up of the broken ends -- they look ugly, but they do fit back together nicely...

http://home.comcast....nedDaylight.png[/quote]

Krikee! I've never seen anyone go to all the trouble to make a marketing brochure for an old appliance part!

[quote]One final question -- do you think I should get a copy of the shop manual for this washer and see if they list a part number for just the shaft/arms assembly ?  I saw it somewhere for $20 or so.[/quote]

You may find the manual to be a welcome companion in your journey through appliance hell-- here it is:
http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=659075

[quote]Anyway, "mega Mt Fuji dittos" from someone who climbed about 90% of Mt Fuji around 40 years ago[/quote]

Now THAT's what I wanna see pictures of! :dude:

#5 boatperson

boatperson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

Thanks -- guess I may as well spring for the shop manual... then I'll be able to intelligently attempt to shame the Frigidaire types into selling me just that part ;)

The picture stuff is no big deal -- I do a lot of that (stills, videos, DVD's, etc)... it probably took me a total of 45 minutes to put together everything here.  Also, I did find a shoe box full of slides recently that I took while in the military in the early 60's, so maybe I'll snag a few of the Fuji shots for you... after completing this fix-it project.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:29 AM

[user=7466]boatperson[/user] wrote:

Also, I did find a shoe box full of slides recently that I took while in the military in the early 60's, so maybe I'll snag a few of the Fuji shots for you... after completing this fix-it project.

I did a stint in Misawa, Japan, in the late 70's with my squadron, VP-46, while I was in the Navy. Loved it. As you can tell from the Samurai schtick at this site, it made a big impression on this then-18-year old, snot-nosed punk. Would love to see your pics of Mt. Fuji.

#7 boatperson

boatperson

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:01 AM

After lots of research, its seems that the smartest solution is to buy a new washer similar to the one that crapped out -- one of the local appliance stores has a Frigidaire FTF530ES0 for $500 with a "green" rebate for $100, so for less than twice the cost of the spin basket and shaft for the 8 year old FWT445GES2 we can get a brand new device -- and have a pile of spare parts from the old one that could be used if ever necessary. 

ps: I'll submit a new post when things are finalized -- and -- I've located some cool Japan slides

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics